Topics

The Windows Special AppsFolder

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

This special folder has existed for as long as I can remember.  See below for how to set up a shortcut to it on your desktop and to use it to create desktop shortcuts for other apps with ease.

Using the Microsoft Special Applications Folder for Creating Desktop Shortcuts

The cluster of 4 steps immediately following need to be done only once to create a shortcut to the special applications folder, which is very handy for creating other shortcuts, so you have that on your desktop for use at any time.

1.  Go to the desktop and make certain no item has focus.  Then bring up the context menu, whether by SHIFT+F10 or the Applications/Context Menu key, and select New,Shortcut from that menu.
2. In the Create Shortcut dialog that comes up, in the Type the location of the item edit box, enter:  
%windir%\explorer.exe shell:Appsfolder
then activate the Next button.
3. In the Type a name for this shortcut edit box, enter the name of your choosing.  I tend to just call it something like All Apps Folder.
4. Activate the Finish button, which will place the shortcut using the name you choose on your desktop.

When you need to create a desktop shortcut for any application installed on your system, whether it's an installed desktop app or a Microsoft Store app:
1. Open that shortcut, which will cause File Explorer to open to the special Applications folder.
2. Use first letter navigation, or the method of your choosing, to locate the icon for the application that you wish to have placed on the desktop and select it.
3. Bring up the context menu for that icon, and use the Create Shortcut option.
4. You will then get a warning saying the icon cannot be created here, but it can be placed on the desktop, and asking if you want to put it there.  You will, of course, answer Yes.

You now have a desktop shortcut to the application you had selected in the applications folder. 

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

~ Technician with the username Computer Bloke, on Technibble.com

Gene

I've heard about it in relation to Windows 10 but using your method, I don't get to it in Windows 7. Either it is in a different place or it wasn't a part of Windows yet.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 4:45 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] The Windows Special AppsFolder

This special folder has existed for as long as I can remember. See below for how to set up a shortcut to it on your desktop and to use it to create desktop shortcuts for other apps with ease.

Using the Microsoft Special Applications Folder for Creating Desktop Shortcuts

The cluster of 4 steps immediately following need to be done only once to create a shortcut to the special applications folder, which is very handy for creating other shortcuts, so you have that on your desktop for use at any time.

1. Go to the desktop and make certain no item has focus. Then bring up the context menu, whether by SHIFT+F10 or the Applications/Context Menu key, and select New,Shortcut from that menu.
2. In the Create Shortcut dialog that comes up, in the Type the location of the item edit box, enter: %windir%\explorer.exe shell:Appsfolder
then activate the Next button.
3. In the Type a name for this shortcut edit box, enter the name of your choosing. I tend to just call it something like All Apps Folder.
4. Activate the Finish button, which will place the shortcut using the name you choose on your desktop.

When you need to create a desktop shortcut for any application installed on your system, whether it's an installed desktop app or a Microsoft Store app:
1. Open that shortcut, which will cause File Explorer to open to the special Applications folder.
2. Use first letter navigation, or the method of your choosing, to locate the icon for the application that you wish to have placed on the desktop and select it.
3. Bring up the context menu for that icon, and use the Create Shortcut option.
4. You will then get a warning saying the icon cannot be created here, but it can be placed on the desktop, and asking if you want to put it there. You will, of course, answer Yes.

You now have a desktop shortcut to the application you had selected in the applications folder.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

~ Technician with the username Computer Bloke, on Technibble.com