Thunderbird

Marie Nelson

Could someone direct me to a place to download older versions of TB? The newest is a disaster!

Marie

Gene

Since you want to use Thunderbird, I think using Thunderbird portable is a better idea.  But, if you tell us what problems you are having with the current version, we may be able to tell you ways around them that make the program as easily used as before.

I'm not saying you shouldn't use an earlier version but, aside from probably being able to tell you how to use the current version as easily as older versions, you may find that the discussion helps you use the older version better, if you switch.

Gene
On 11/24/2022 9:10 AM, Marie Nelson wrote:

Could someone direct me to a place to download older versions of TB? The newest is a disaster!

Marie

Gene

Also, this link will download version 68.x of Thunderbird portable.

I'm providing it because opening messages may be faster than with newer versions.  On my machine it is a lot faster but I have an old machine that is much slower than typical machines now.  Others I've discussed this with on lists say the new Thunderbird downloads messages fast so you may not see a difference.

Also, do you know how to tell Thunderbird not to update?  You should disconnect from the Internet when you place the portable version on your machine and then set it not to automatically update.  Then, reconnect to the Internet.

However, it is important to keep a backup copy of the program.  I've seen, now and then, the program update even though it is set not to and if you have a backup version of the program after you install it and set up your account or accounts, all you need do is delete the version you are using and copy the backup to the place where the version you were using was.

Keep the backup current by deleting the backup and then copying the folder of the program you are using to the backup location.  That way, the program will be current and reflect changes such as any settings changes you may make or new entries to the address book.

Gene
On 11/24/2022 9:23 AM, Gene via groups.io wrote:

Since you want to use Thunderbird, I think using Thunderbird portable is a better idea.  But, if you tell us what problems you are having with the current version, we may be able to tell you ways around them that make the program as easily used as before.

I'm not saying you shouldn't use an earlier version but, aside from probably being able to tell you how to use the current version as easily as older versions, you may find that the discussion helps you use the older version better, if you switch.

Gene
On 11/24/2022 9:10 AM, Marie Nelson wrote:

Could someone direct me to a place to download older versions of TB? The newest is a disaster!

Marie

Gene

I forgot the download link.
https://portableapps.com/redir2/?a=ThunderbirdPortableLegacy68&s=s&d=pa&f=ThunderbirdPortableLegacy68_68.12.1_English.paf.exe

Gene

On 11/24/2022 9:23 AM, Gene via groups.io wrote:

Since you want to use Thunderbird, I think using Thunderbird portable is a better idea.  But, if you tell us what problems you are having with the current version, we may be able to tell you ways around them that make the program as easily used as before.

I'm not saying you shouldn't use an earlier version but, aside from probably being able to tell you how to use the current version as easily as older versions, you may find that the discussion helps you use the older version better, if you switch.

Gene
On 11/24/2022 9:10 AM, Marie Nelson wrote:

Could someone direct me to a place to download older versions of TB? The newest is a disaster!

Marie

Gene

Also, aside from downloading using the link I provided, I have a customized version of Thunderbird I can upload if you want to use it.  It has a Thunderbird add-on installed and active that allows you to use first letter navigation to move among folders in the tree view.
When you install the program, it may show the subject line before the from line.  If that was the case, I changed it so the to line is shown first.  I may also have caused certain fields not to be shown.

I can tell you how to change which columns are displayed but if you don't use NVDA, I'm not sure I can tell you how to change the order of headers.

You may want the customized version.

Gene