From: Elaine Young via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2020 6:28 PM
To: techtalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Thunderbird help needed

Hi, Are there any Thunderbird users out there? I think what has happened
is I accidentally, or was forced into, upgrading to Thunderbird 78.4.0
and it has some differences I can't figure out. Can anyone help?

-Elaine

--
Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.

Elaine Young <REYoung1436@...>

Gene,

I think the problem occurred when I upgraded to Thunderbird 78.4.0. For an example:

When I replied to this message, I wanted to see if the message was going only to you or going to the list. In the older version of Thunderbird which I had up until today, I could just shift, tab back to the "to" field and Jaws would read to me who was going to receive this message.

But now, I can't do that. I can get to the "to" field, but what Jaws reads is 2 with one address, use left arrow to focus on it". But the left arrow doesn't get me there. If I continue shift, tabbing it says"other types of address field" and another shift, tab takes me to the BCC,CC".  So I can never find out to whom the message is going.  "I suspect there is just a new keystroke I have to figure out, but I haven't hit on the right combination yet.

Probably without using Thunderbird yourself, this won't make much sense so I am hoping someone on the list does use Thunderbird and has worked out the right keystroke.

But thanks for your willingness to listen to my dilemma.

Elaine

On 10/29/2020 7:59 PM, Gene wrote:
What are you having problems with.  I don't use Thunderbird much but I know a reasonable amount about it.  But without knowing what problems you are having, I don't know what to address.  I didn't intend the pun but I'll point out that it is one.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Elaine Young via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2020 6:28 PM
To: techtalk@groups.io

Hi, Are there any Thunderbird users out there? I think what has happened
is I accidentally, or was forced into, upgrading to Thunderbird 78.4.0
and it has some differences I can't figure out. Can anyone help?

-Elaine
--
Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.

Gene

I don't know how you solve the problem. NVDA reads the information if I left arrow. It may be that using the read current line command, JAWS key numpad 8 in the desktop layout, I don't know the laptop layout, may read it. Or it may be that JAWS doesn't support that change in NVDA. I have another suggestion but I'll wait to see what you report.

Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2020 6:28 PM
To: techtalk@groups.io

Hi, Are there any Thunderbird users out there? I think what has happened
is I accidentally, or was forced into, upgrading to Thunderbird 78.4.0
and it has some differences I can't figure out. Can anyone help?

-Elaine
--
Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.

Gene

I don't have a current version of JAWS on my computer because I haven't used JAWS for years. On my very old version, when I left arrow, I don't hear anything. Using NVDA, I hear the address I am on. If I left arrow more than once, I move to other addresses, one left arrow moves me to another address and if I left arrow again, I am on another address, etc. With JAWS, the only way I can hear the addresses is to left arrow once, press enter, use read current line to read the address, press escape, left arrow twice to get to the next address, press enter, use read to end, press escape, left arrow three times, press enter, use read current line, etc.

Others who use JAWS may have other suggestions.

Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2020 6:28 PM
To: techtalk@groups.io

Hi, Are there any Thunderbird users out there? I think what has happened
is I accidentally, or was forced into, upgrading to Thunderbird 78.4.0
and it has some differences I can't figure out. Can anyone help?

-Elaine
--
Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.

Elaine Young <REYoung1436@...>

Hi Gene and John,

Thanks for your responses. I've played around with Thunderbird and, although my system is not perfected, I have been getting to the address field and confirming I am sending a message to whom it should go. Both of your comments have sent me searching for solutions and for now, I am okay.

Thanks,

Elaine

-----Original Message----- From: Gene

Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2020 6:28 PM
To: techtalk@groups.io

Hi, Are there any Thunderbird users out there? I think what has happened
is I accidentally, or was forced into, upgrading to Thunderbird 78.4.0
and it has some differences I can't figure out. Can anyone help?

-Elaine
--
Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Elaine,

             Would you please share the method you're using?  Others will be interested.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

By the way, this same issue has been raised on the NVDA group, and there are now a number of replies saying, "I'm not having that issue."  So, I'll say here what I said there . . .

As a general approach, when I hear people saying, "I'm not having a problem," while I am:

1. I do a repair install, if such is available, or download the latest installer and do an install-over install.  This will often correct a problem induced by a "burp" during a software update.

2. If Step 1 does not work, then an uninstall of the offending software, a system restart, then a reinstall using the latest installer, which I download before starting the process.  In many cases, and Thunderbird is one of those, uninstalling does not remove user settings unless you specify it do so.  So after a reinstall your accounts, etc., are still there.

Jaffar Sidek

Hi.  Sometimes Thunderbird misbehaves after an update due to your Mail database being corrupted through some process or other.  There are two Profile folders in your  your Thunderbird installation, one in your User\[Name]\AppData\Local, and the other in your User\[Name]\AppData\Roaming.  Short of a repair or a reinstallation, Delete these folders, then restart your pc.  Start your Thunderbird and reset your accounts.  Thunderbird will redownload all your emails on whatever email server you are subscribed to, plus it will recreate your profile, reset all your mail settings to the default.  Then just tweak thunderbird the way you like it to work, and if your installation is not too damaged, Thunderbird will work as it should.  Cheers!

On 1/11/2020 1:07 am, Brian Vogel wrote:

By the way, this same issue has been raised on the NVDA group, and there are now a number of replies saying, "I'm not having that issue."  So, I'll say here what I said there . . .

As a general approach, when I hear people saying, "I'm not having a problem," while I am:

1. I do a repair install, if such is available, or download the latest installer and do an install-over install.  This will often correct a problem induced by a "burp" during a software update.

2. If Step 1 does not work, then an uninstall of the offending software, a system restart, then a reinstall using the latest installer, which I download before starting the process.  In many cases, and Thunderbird is one of those, uninstalling does not remove user settings unless you specify it do so.  So after a reinstall your accounts, etc., are still there.

Your message shows why it is so much more advantageous to use Thunderbird portable. Simply make a copy of the program every time it works correctly after an update. If the next update causes problems, you don't have to trouble shoot. All you have to do is delete the copy you use, then copy the backup copy to the location where you keep the copy of the program you run.

Also, the program will download your mail if you use an IMAP account.. It won't if you use a POP3 account.

When using Thunderbird portable with a POP3 account, making a backup copy before you upgrade will ensure that you lose no mail. Set the program not to update automatically but to tell you when an update is available. You can make a backup copy before you update and not worry about losing any mail with a POP3 account in that way.

I see no advantage in using the installed version. I am not aware of anything the installed version does that the portable version doesn't do.