Topics

Tracking a kitten

David Mehler

Hello,

I'm throwing this out to a bunch of lists. I got a friend who just got
a therapy kitten, about six weeks old. She has gone missing and when
we find her i'd like to make sure that we can track her. The kitten
does have a collar with a bell on that's it. I'm wondering if anyone
has any suggestions?

Thanks.
Dave.

There are tracking chips that can be implanted in pets (or service animals).  They are expensive.

See the results of this search:  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=tracking+chip+for+pet

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

First question, did Kitty get out, or is she hiding or trapped in the house somewhere? Cats, especially kittens like to explore. Any closet door, cupboard door, basement door, attic door is fair game. So before you call the SPCA or the police, check all hidy-holes! Listen for unusual bumping or thumping. It may be kitty trying to get out of wherever she's trapped in the house.

Now if kitty has gotten outside, then, is she chipped? This is necessary if you're planning to let her out, and even if you aren't. Check with neighborhood organization, she may have gotten trapped in somebody's garage or under somebody's car. Chech any shrubbery. Check any sheds or garages. Check cars; anybody leave a car door open? That's a clear invitation to Kitty.

As for keeping track of her, the bell works best unless you want to train her with an electronic fence. Don't know how well they work on cats. I sure hope this person doesn't live on a busy road! If this house or apartment is in suburbs I'd worry about coyotes or racoons or other wild life. Best to keep a cat inside these days. Good luck finding kitty.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Norma A. Boge

Hi David,

There are a number of electronic pet trackers which don't involve inserting anything under the animal's skin. I hope the cat has a chip, but this isn't used for tracking. It is used when an animal is found and the shelter or whoever has the right equipment can read the info on the chip, such as owner's name, phone, etc.
I used a tracker on my cat's collar for quite some time. It wasn't GPS, which are pretty expensive IMHO. The set up I used had a remote with it, and the remote and collar would beep whenever they got to within about 30 feet of each other. Not perfect, but it would help find the cat indoors or out. My guy got to the point where all I had to do was stand on my deck and hit the remote, which triggered the unit on his collar. He would hear the beeping and just come home instead of me having to go find him.
If you'd like to contact me privately I can explain more and perhaps advise you. naboge@...

HTH
Norma

I'm throwing this out to a bunch of lists. I got a friend who just got a therapy kitten, about six weeks old. She has gone missing and when we find her i'd like to make sure that we can track her. The kitten does have a collar with a bell on that's it. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks.
Dave.

David Mehler

Hello,

Thanks everyone for your responses. This kitten just got lost in the
house, it was found, but we'd still like to keep an eye on it.

Thanks.
Dave.

On 9/19/20, Norma A. Boge <naboge@...> wrote:
[...]

Pamela Dominguez

I'm glad kitty was found, but I hope you do choose something to keep track of it. Pam.

I'm throwing this out to a bunch of lists. I got a friend who just got a
therapy kitten, about six weeks old. She has gone missing and when we find
her i'd like to make sure that we can track her. The kitten does have a
collar with a bell on that's it. I'm wondering if anyone has any
suggestions?

Thanks.
Dave.

https://www.avg.com

Carolyn Arnold

I knew a woman, who fixed two little bells on her kitten's collar. I am sure that the kitten was not happy about them for a while, but she could keep up with him that way. She said one bell would not work; it needed to be two.

I'm glad kitty was found, but I hope you do choose something to keep track of it. Pam.

I'm throwing this out to a bunch of lists. I got a friend who just got
a therapy kitten, about six weeks old. She has gone missing and when
we find her i'd like to make sure that we can track her. The kitten
does have a collar with a bell on that's it. I'm wondering if anyone
has any suggestions?

Thanks.
Dave.

https://www.avg.com

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Glad you found Kitty! I wondered if she'd gotten lost in the house. I've never heard of those tracking thingers that were mentioned, but it may work. I'd check with the vet first to see if it would damage the kitty's hearing, though. So glad all is well. Doncha just hate it when you've been frantic, half out of your mind worried about a lost cat and it turns up neat as you please? "Oh, were you looking for me?" <grrrr>

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

chris judge

I have bells on all my kitties. They all sound a bit different so I can tell them apart.

Chris Judge

I knew a woman, who fixed two little bells on her kitten's collar. I am sure that the kitten was not happy about them for a while, but she could keep up with him that way. She said one bell would not work; it needed to be two.

I'm glad kitty was found, but I hope you do choose something to keep track of it. Pam.

I'm throwing this out to a bunch of lists. I got a friend who just got
a therapy kitten, about six weeks old. She has gone missing and when
we find her i'd like to make sure that we can track her. The kitten
does have a collar with a bell on that's it. I'm wondering if anyone
has any suggestions?

Thanks.
Dave.

https://www.avg.com

Howard Traxler

We have two kittens and it takes two types of bells.  One wears some very delicate metallic high pitched bells and the other wears some lower plasticky sounding bells.  I can call them by name and don't step on them very much.

On 9/19/2020 6:26 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
I knew a woman, who fixed two little bells on her kitten's collar. I am sure that the kitten was not happy about them for a while, but she could keep up with him that way. She said one bell would not work; it needed to be two.

I'm glad kitty was found, but I hope you do choose something to keep track of it. Pam.

I'm throwing this out to a bunch of lists. I got a friend who just got
a therapy kitten, about six weeks old. She has gone missing and when
we find her i'd like to make sure that we can track her. The kitten
does have a collar with a bell on that's it. I'm wondering if anyone
has any suggestions?

Thanks.
Dave.

https://www.avg.com

Pamela Dominguez

I have heard of people whose cats learn how to keep the bells from ringing. Pam.

I knew a woman, who fixed two little bells on her kitten's collar. I am sure that the kitten was not happy about them for a while, but she could keep up with him that way. She said one bell would not work; it needed to be two.

I'm glad kitty was found, but I hope you do choose something to keep track of it. Pam.

I'm throwing this out to a bunch of lists. I got a friend who just got
a therapy kitten, about six weeks old. She has gone missing and when
we find her i'd like to make sure that we can track her. The kitten
does have a collar with a bell on that's it. I'm wondering if anyone
has any suggestions?

Thanks.
Dave.

https://www.avg.com

Quentin Christensen

Have you got more info on the beeping tracker device?  Our cats have "Fitbark" which is basically like a fitbit for pets - tracking how much they're moving about.  They are bluetooth so using a bluetooth identifier on your phone you can get a sense of when it is nearby - however a) it just identifies as an IP address, and b) bluetooth isn't overly precise, only telling you you are within ten metres or so - which if you can pick the signal can at least tell you which end of the house kitty is at, but won't pinpoint her on top of a wardrobe etc, or on the other side of a thick door or wall.

https://www.avg.com

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager