two issues when reading with NVDA

heather albright

Hello, I have started using the IBM manager for my speech synthesizer and I noticed it does not continuously read text. It pauses while reading. I have my punctuation set to none. So I thought it would not pause while reading. Is there another setting I need to look at?

I noticed that when I do insert numb pad 2, it saids no objects inside instead of reading the file. I never noticed this was happening as I use the down arrow and insert. So  can you use the numb pad and insert keys to read text? I am using keyboard layout as desktop. I am currently running NVDA version: Version: 2020.4.

Thank you all.

Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows

Gene

When does it pause and what are you doing when it does?  Are you reading by line or reading in some other way? 

Also, if your intention is to use read to end, you are using a JAWS command.  What you hear is correct and has nothing to do with the synthesizer you are using.  That is an object navigation command.  the read to end command for NVDA is NVDA key down arrow, using the down arrow on the main keyboard.  NVDA uses the numpad for other purposes.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 4:45 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] two issues when reading with NVDA

Hello, I have started using the IBM manager for my speech synthesizer and I noticed it does not continuously read text. It pauses while reading. I have my punctuation set to none. So I thought it would not pause while reading. Is there another setting I need to look at?

I noticed that when I do insert numb pad 2, it saids no objects inside instead of reading the file. I never noticed this was happening as I use the down arrow and insert. So  can you use the numb pad and insert keys to read text? I am using keyboard layout as desktop. I am currently running NVDA version: Version: 2020.4.

Thank you all.

Heather

Gene

It appears you are saying there are pauses when you are using read to end and that your second qquestion has no relation to the first.  When describing problemms, it is important to give details about what you are doing such as using read to end.  There is no setting in NVDA that can correct this problem if that is what you are describing.  But we also don’t know what program or programs you experience pauses in.  Does it happen in programs in bgeneral or only in specific ones?  If for example, this happens in Word, try Wordpad if your intention is simply to read a document and you are not going to be editing it.

Gene

Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 6:43 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] two issues when reading with NVDA

When does it pause and what are you doing when it does?  Are you reading by line or reading in some other way? 

Also, if your intention is to use read to end, you are using a JAWS command.  What you hear is correct and has nothing to do with the synthesizer you are using.  That is an object navigation command.  the read to end command for NVDA is NVDA key down arrow, using the down arrow on the main keyboard.  NVDA uses the numpad for other purposes.

Gene

I noticed that when I do insert numb pad 2, it saids no objects inside instead of reading the file. I never noticed this was happening as I use the down arrow and insert. So  can you use the numb pad and insert keys to read text? I am using keyboard layout as desktop. I am currently running NVDA version: Version: 2020.4.

Thank you all.

Heather

John Holcomb II

Does IBM Via Voice have intonation pauses? If so have you turned those on?

If so that c could explain your  pausing.

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 8:03 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

It appears you are saying there are pauses when you are using read to end and that your second qquestion has no relation to the first.  When describing problemms, it is important to give details about what you are doing such as using read to end.  There is no setting in NVDA that can correct this problem if that is what you are describing.  But we also don’t know what program or programs you experience pauses in.  Does it happen in programs in bgeneral or only in specific ones?  If for example, this happens in Word, try Wordpad if your intention is simply to read a document and you are not going to be editing it.

Gene

Gene

Thank you all.

Heather

heather albright

Oh I was asking 2 different questions. But, so far I think the “shorten phrases,” must be like intonation pauses. So I have checked this option.

The second question was because I was just wondering why when I hit numb pad and 2, it does not read text but instead of it states, “no objects inside.” I was told that was not what it is supposed to say.

Thank you all.

Heather

Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 7:02 PM

Gene

Gene

Thank you all.

Heather

Gene

What you were told is wrong.  You can verify this by turning on input help and seeing how the command is described.
Turn on input help with nvda key 1 on the main keyboard.
Then issue numpad insert numpad 2.  You will hear a description of the command. 
Then if you wish issue the command numpad insert down arrow using the down arrow on the main keyboard.  That is read to end, as you will hear.

I have Via Voice because I installed another program that uses it.  You evidently got it another way, if that is what you are using and more settings may be available to you. 

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:38 AM

Oh I was asking 2 different questions. But, so far I think the “shorten phrases,” must be like intonation pauses. So I have checked this option.

The second question was because I was just wondering why when I hit numb pad and 2, it does not read text but instead of it states, “no objects inside.” I was told that was not what it is supposed to say.

Thank you all.

Heather

Gene

Gene

Thank you all.

Heather

Gene

I didn’t say that to turn input help off, use the same command that turns it on, numpad insert 1 with 1 being on the main keyboard.

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 4:16 AM

What you were told is wrong.  You can verify this by turning on input help and seeing how the command is described.
Turn on input help with nvda key 1 on the main keyboard.
Then issue numpad insert numpad 2.  You will hear a description of the command. 
Then if you wish issue the command numpad insert down arrow using the down arrow on the main keyboard.  That is read to end, as you will hear.

I have Via Voice because I installed another program that uses it.  You evidently got it another way, if that is what you are using and more settings may be available to you. 

Gene
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:38 AM

Thank you all.

Heather

Gene

Gene

Thank you all.

Heather