From: Gerald Levy via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, November 03, 2020 6:02 AM
To: Tech Talk
Subject: [TechTalk] Unable to Launch Open Book

Hi list. All of a sudden, I am unable to launch Open Book 9.0. When I try to open it, I get the "welcome to open book" greeting message, followed by "program not responding". I tried closing and reopening it with no luck. I tried the "check for a solution and close the program" option in the program not responding dialog with no luck. I have rebooted a couple of times, but I still cannot get Open Book to open. It worked fine two days ago. I am running Windows 7 with JAWS 2019. Any ideas on how I can get Open Book to launch successfully? Thanks.

Gerald

Gerald Levy

Okay, I fixed the problem and now I am able to successfully launch Open Book again and scan and read documents normally.  But a little background on how I resolved the problem in case anyone else encounters the same issue.  First, I visited the Freedom Scientific Open Book downloads page and tried to download Open Book 9.0.  But for whatever reason, I could not download it using Google Chrome or Firefox.  Maybe there's a problem with their web site.  Next, I considered performing a System Restore.  But it turned out that I had no restore points.  I was mulling over what to do next and considered calling FS customer support for help, but thought things over again.  I remembered that I had just applied a new patch this morning to 0 Patch, the third-party security program that supposedly applies patches to keep Windows 7 protected  because, of course, this obsolete OS  is no longer supported by Microsoft.  I figured that uninstalling 0 Patch, which is mostly inaccessible, anyway, might fix the problem, because perhaps the patch I had applied this morning was somehow preventing Open Book from launching, flagging it as malware or some other malicious threat.  And sure enough, once I uninstalled 0 Patch using Revo Uninstaller, Open Book launched normally and worked as it should, scanning and reading back my mail.  So my advice for anyone who is still using0 Patch on their Windows 7 computer  is to get rid of 0 Patch, because it might cause unanticipated problems or otherwise interfere with certain programs like Open Book. It is almost totally inaccessible, and besides, the information on its interface is mostly incomprehensible gibberish, anyway, and it may not even be protecting your Windows 7 computer in the first place.  Don't even think about installing the paid version of 0 Patch, it they ever get around to making it accessible. Its downside outweighs any perceived benefits it might offer in terms of added Windows 7 protection.  In this case, reinstalling Open Book without uninstalling 0 Patch would probably not have fixed the problem, after all.

Gerald

On 11/3/2020 7:04 AM, Gene wrote:
Try reinstalling it.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Gerald Levy via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, November 03, 2020 6:02 AM
To: Tech Talk

Hi list.  All of a sudden, I am unable to launch Open Book 9.0.  When I try to open it, I get the "welcome to open book" greeting message, followed by "program not responding".  I tried closing and reopening it with no luck.  I tried the "check for a solution and close the program" option in the program not responding dialog with no luck.  I have rebooted a couple of times, but I still cannot get Open Book to open.  It worked fine two days ago.  I am running Windows 7 with JAWS 2019.  Any ideas on how I can get Open Book to launch successfully?  Thanks.

Gerald

Mike B

Save your settings before you uninstall / reinstall so you don't have to configure the program again.
To save a copy of your Openbook settings do the following.
1. Go to the root of your OS drive,
C:\Program Files (x86)\Freedom Scientific\OpenBook\9.0\Users\default\Settings
2. Press the letter " U " for users and press enter.

3. Arrow to the " default " folder and press enter.
4. Now arrow to the settings folder, copy this folder and save it somewhere accessible.

5. After you get Openbook 9 reinstalled copy your saved settings folder and paste it into the same location you copied it from using the steps above.

Take care and stay safe.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Rams!

Hi list.  All of a sudden, I am unable to launch Open Book 9.0.  When I try
to open it, I get the "welcome to open book" greeting message, followed by
"program not responding".  I tried closing and reopening it with no luck.  I
tried the "check for a solution and close the program" option in the program
not responding dialog with no luck.  I have rebooted a couple of times, but
I still cannot get Open Book to open.  It worked fine two days ago.  I am
running Windows 7 with JAWS 2019.  Any ideas on how I can get Open Book to
launch successfully?  Thanks.

Gerald

Gerald Levy

Hey Mike, were you ever able to install the paid version of 0 Patch?  I noticed that whenever a new patch was available, it would slow down my computer until I applied it.  And to apply it, I had to open the 0 Patch console from the "everything is okay" system tray icon  and wait until it finally launched, because when I first open the console, I would be confronted with the "program not responding" dialog, and had to wait a few minutes until the console was finally enabled and the patch automatically applied.  Who needs this aggravation?  But on another note, do you have any idea why I could not download Open Book 9.0 from the FS downloads page?  When I activated the download link, I heard a ding sound in Google Chrome, probably emanating from the Pop-up Sounds extension, but otherwise, I was not presented  with the file download dialog to save it. Is there perhaps a problem with their web site?

Gerald

On 11/3/2020 9:35 AM, Mike B wrote:

[...]

I doubt you will lose settings. Usually, when you uninstall programs these days, the settings are retainded on the machine so the user can reinstall the program without such loss. If you want to be sure, then of course, save the settings if you wish but I am very doubtful that it is necessary.

Don't remove any shared files if asked.

Save your settings before you uninstall / reinstall so you don't have to configure the program again.
To save a copy of your Openbook settings do the following.
1. Go to the root of your OS drive,
C:\Program Files (x86)\Freedom Scientific\OpenBook\9.0\Users\default\Settings

2. Press the letter " U " for users and press enter.

3. Arrow to the " default " folder and press enter.
4. Now arrow to the settings folder, copy this folder and save it somewhere accessible.

5. After you get Openbook 9 reinstalled copy your saved settings folder and paste it into the same location you copied it from using the steps above.

Take care and stay safe. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool. Go Rams!
Main's Law: For every action there is an equal and opposite government program.