From: Jim Wohlgamuth
Sent: Monday, November 18, 2019 1:29 PM
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] unmuting my sound card while I have No speech?

Hi there FOLKS!
Question, is it possible to unmute my sound card using Jaws, Narrator or NVDA? I accidently muted it and had to have a friend connect to my system via the internet to unmute it..? It certainly would be easier in the future if I had some way of doing this myself! Thanks for any suggestions! Have A Good 1! de
mailto:wohlggie@...<KF8LT><Jim Wohlgamuth>.

Jim Wohlgamuth

Hi THERE!

Thanks, I will give that a try the next time I experience this issue! I thought my speakers were going and then I thought my sound card was going.  So the next time this happens I will simply give your suggestion a try! Thanks Again. de

<Wohlggie@...><KF8LT><Jim Wohlgamuth>.

On 18-Nov-19 13:44, Geoff Eden wrote:
If you are a JAWS user, try the insert key with the escape key.

Geoff

Question, is it possible to unmute my sound card using Jaws, Narrator or NVDA? I accidently muted it and had to have a friend connect to my system via the internet to unmute it..? It certainly would be easier in the future if I had some way of doing this myself! Thanks for any suggestions! Have A Good 1! de
mailto:wohlggie@...<KF8LT><Jim Wohlgamuth>.

Gene

I'm not sure if any of these screen-readers automatically unmute the card when you boot or reboot the computer.  I believe that NVDA either does or can be set to do so.  But what happens if you lose sound and rebooting will cause you to lose work or interrupt something you are recording?  You should get a cheap USB external sound card for when you mute your sound card or perhaps it mutes itself or, very unlikely, just stops working because it isn't functioning anymore.  You can get one for ten U.S. dollars or, I believe, less.

Sent: Monday, November 18, 2019 12:29 PM

Hi there FOLKS!
Question, is it possible to unmute my sound card using Jaws, Narrator or NVDA? I accidently muted it and had to have a friend connect to my system via the internet to unmute it..? It certainly would be easier in the future if I had some way of doing this myself! Thanks for any suggestions! Have A Good 1! de
<wohlggie@...><KF8LT><Jim Wohlgamuth>.

Gene

It sounds as though that command will allow you to unmute the card without rebooting.  But I still think it’s a good idea to have a cheap USB external sound card just in case there is some other problem regarding the soundcard that is usually used.  It isn't likely, but its so inexpensive that I think it’s a good idea.

If you are a JAWS user, try the insert key with the escape key.

Geoff

Question, is it possible to unmute my sound card using Jaws, Narrator or NVDA? I accidently muted it and had to have a friend connect to my system via the internet to unmute it..? It certainly would be easier in the future if I had some way of doing this myself! Thanks for any suggestions! Have A Good 1! de
mailto:wohlggie@...<KF8LT><Jim Wohlgamuth>.

Richard

I believe this only works with Jaws 2019 and later.

HTH,
Rick

If you are a JAWS user, try the insert key with the escape key.

Geoff

Question, is it possible to unmute my sound card using Jaws, Narrator or
NVDA? I accidently muted it and had to have a friend connect to my system
via the internet to unmute it..? It certainly would be easier in the future
if I had some way of doing this myself! Thanks for any suggestions! Have A
Good 1! de
mailto:wohlggie@...<KF8LT><Jim Wohlgamuth>.

Jim Wohlgamuth

Hi!

Can I check it out by hitting this key combo to turn it off and then toggle it back on with the same key combo? I believe I am using 18..? Thanks! KF8LT - Jim

On 18-Nov-19 15:46, Richard wrote:
I believe this only works with Jaws 2019 and later.

HTH,
Rick
If you are a JAWS user, try the insert key with the escape key.

Geoff

Question, is it possible to unmute my sound card using Jaws, Narrator or
NVDA? I accidently muted it and had to have a friend connect to my system
via the internet to unmute it..? It certainly would be easier in the future
if I had some way of doing this myself! Thanks for any suggestions! Have A
Good 1! de
mailto:wohlggie@...<KF8LT><Jim Wohlgamuth>.

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I have 3 systems all having keyboards that have a sound card interface.  If somehow the sound card gets muted, I press the mute/unmute key and it unmutes the sound card. These are fairly standard and low priced: around 20 or 25 dollars US.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

If memory serves, Window-Eyes, though moribund, DOES UNMUTE a sound card
automatically at boot up!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Richard

No, it is not a toggle.
This feature is available in Jaws 2018, 2019, and 2020.

HTH,
Rick

If you are a JAWS user, try the insert key with the escape key.

Geoff

Question, is it possible to unmute my sound card using Jaws, Narrator or
NVDA? I accidently muted it and had to have a friend connect to my system
via the internet to unmute it..? It certainly would be easier in the
future
if I had some way of doing this myself! Thanks for any suggestions! Have A
Good 1! de
mailto:wohlggie@...<KF8LT><Jim Wohlgamuth>.

Gene

Its very unlikely that this is a toggle.  It is supposed to get you out of trouble, not have someone accidentally issue the command an mute the soundcard and not know why if they don't know that command, and a lot of people won't know it.

This excerpt from this web site may answer your question.
http://www.sweetmansystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/JAWS-Word-And-Internet-Commands-with-Examples.htm
"As of the March 2018 update, Insert+Escape will unmute the sound card if it has been muted."  End of quote.
You can test whether you have the feature in the following way:
Hold the Windows key and type r.  The run dialog will open.
Type sndvol and press enter.
Part of the Windows volume control will open.
Tab once to the mute button and press the space bar.  Then use the unmute command to see if it works.  If it doesn't, press the button again with the space bar to unmute the card.

If you are a JAWS user, try the insert key with the escape key.

Geoff

Question, is it possible to unmute my sound card using Jaws, Narrator or
NVDA? I accidently muted it and had to have a friend connect to my system
via the internet to unmute it..? It certainly would be easier in the future
if I had some way of doing this myself! Thanks for any suggestions! Have A
Good 1! de
mailto:wohlggie@...<KF8LT><Jim Wohlgamuth>.

Chris G

So do the new versions of JAWS.
It was one of those cool Window-Eyes features that made it over to JAWS.