Topics

USB device not recognized

Fanus

Hello list
All of a sudden I get the message "the last USB device mal functioned and is
not recognized" when I connect a memory stick or the victor Stream or orbit
Reader to my pc. Can this problem be solved? This happens even when I use
one of the rear USB ports which I don't use often.
Regards
Fanus

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

In all probability, no.   It sounds like you've got a USB drive gone bad, which is not an extremely rare occurrence, though it's not anywhere near to a daily one, either.

Test the drive by plugging it in to a computer, if it fails there, then the drive is dead.

As far as your devices, does the PC recognize them via any USB port?  It sounds like there are no device drivers installed for either the Victor Stream or Orbit Reader.

Carolyn Arnold

I get that one, when I use my wireless charger that is
connected to a U S P. The computer guy didn't think anything
about it, when my husband mentioned it to him. Finally, it
gives up, if I don't use it for a while.

All of a sudden I get the message "the last USB device mal
functioned and is not recognized" when I connect a memory
stick or the victor Stream or orbit Reader to my pc. Can
this problem be solved? This happens even when I use one of
the rear USB ports which I don't use often.
Regards
Fanus

Merv Keck

This is pretty common if you are using windows ten and a USB hub. I see it all the time on brand new fully functional machines and external devices.
The only advice I can give is a work around which usually works for me. If you are plugging a USB device or drive directly into your PC you may have to try plugging it in a couple of times and eventually it will recognize it. Sometimes if you have another drive similar to that drive plugged in already and you unplug it first and then plug the offending drive in it will recognize the troublesome drive and then you can plug the first drive back in. I can usually always make it work wherever I am ad I hear the message. Hubs are usually the easiest to manipulate though. I used to keep a 4 port unpowered hub with me just in case but I recently donated it for another tech emergency when troubleshooting an issue somewhere.
Hope that helps.
Merv

All of a sudden I get the message "the last USB device mal functioned and is not recognized" when I connect a memory stick or the victor Stream or orbit Reader to my pc. Can this problem be solved? This happens even when I use one of the rear USB ports which I don't use often.
Regards
Fanus

Fanus

Hello Brian

All my memory sticks, external drive, orbit and Victor Stream connect correctly to my laptop. I am sure its a pc problem. I did a reset of the usb ports in Device Manager but no luck. Even when I use a powered USB hub it does not solve the problem. The strange thing is that I have a USB sound card which takes care of JAWS and my printer is connected to another one and a Wifi dongle to a third. All those devices work perfectly but when I plug a memory stick or external drive or the orbit or the victor into one of those ports I get the same error.

Regards

Fanus