USB stick question

Madison Martin

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me how to check the amount of space that's left on a USB stick?
I'm sure it says the size on the package, but of course we don't have the
package anymore. Using latest versions of Jaws and Windows 10. Thanks Madison

Gene

You do so in exactly the same way as with any drive.  If you know how to do this in general, you needn’t read the rest of this explanation.  The computer treats it like any drive.

Be on the stick icon but don’t open it. 
Open properties with alt enter.
then wroute the JAWS cursor to the PC cursor if you are using JAWS, move to the top of the screen and start down arrowing.  You will get to an item for free space.  You will hear the amount in bits and in gigabites if you let the line read.
Press escape to close the dialog and return to where you started and return to the pc cursor.

If you are using NVDA, the instructions are similar.  I won’t go into detail here as to how you move around the screen but once you open properties, switch to screen review, move the screen review cursor to the top of the screen, then move down using the review movement commands by line until you get to the free space numbers line.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2021 3:37 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] USB stick question

Hi all,

chris judge

You shouldn’t have to do all that though. Pressing insert tab while focused on the drive will give you that info.

Chris Judge

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: December 8, 2021 5:47 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] USB stick question

You do so in exactly the same way as with any drive.  If you know how to do this in general, you needn’t read the rest of this explanation.  The computer treats it like any drive.

then wroute the JAWS cursor to the PC cursor if you are using JAWS, move to the top of the screen and start down arrowing.  You will get to an item for free space.  You will hear the amount in bits and in gigabites if you let the line read.

Press escape to close the dialog and return to where you started and return to the pc cursor.

If you are using NVDA, the instructions are similar.  I won’t go into detail here as to how you move around the screen but once you open properties, switch to screen review, move the screen review cursor to the top of the screen, then move down using the review movement commands by line until you get to the free space numbers line.

Gene

Hi all,

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Chris,

This must require a specific view setting because Insert + tab does nothing on my Win10 system except read me the name of the drive.  What are your view settings please?

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.
Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2021 1:49 PM

You shouldn’t have to do all that though. Pressing insert tab while focused on the drive will give you that info.

Chris Judge

Gene

Hi all,

Gene

It doesn’t in Windows 7 using NVDA.  I don’t know what JAWS does in Windows 7 and higher.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2021 3:49 PM

Chris Judge

JAWS Certified, 2021

Gene

Hi all,

Gene

If you don’t get the information using insert tab, you can do the following:
I don’t know which screen-reader you are using and I don’t know laptop layout commands to do what we are discussing.  I can tell you that if you open properties, alt enter, then issue the command insert b, the entire dialog will be read.  You will hear information you aren’t interested in but if you keep listening, you will hear free space, the number in bytes, and then the number in gigabytes, which is the number you want.  This command will work in either JAWS or NVDA.

You may want to get the information that way.  You may want to learn how to do the other things that have been discussed but whatever the case, that is one way you can get the information.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2021 4:12 PM

It doesn’t in Windows 7 using NVDA.  I don’t know what JAWS does in Windows 7 and higher.

Gene

Chris Judge

JAWS Certified, 2021

Gene

Hi all,

Janet

HI Mike, and All,

I am using Windows 10, and when I want to know how much space is left on my external drive is to press the insert plus tab keys, and this will tell me how much space I have left, and also tell me the size of the drive from when I first bought the drive, like Chris said. I’m not sure though if using a flash drive would make a difference to tell or  not, although, I don’t think so, as it should still give that information.    

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: Wednesday, December 8, 2021 4:01 PM

Hi Chris,

This must require a specific view setting because Insert + tab does nothing on my Win10 system except read me the name of the drive.  What are your view settings please?

Chris Judge

Gene

Hi all,

Gene

I just tried insert tab using a very old version of JAWS and Windows 7.  The command does tell me the total capacity of the drive and how much free space there is. 

Gene
-----Original Message[-----

Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2021 4:37 PM

I don’t know which screen-reader you are using and I don’t know laptop layout commands to do what we are discussing.  I can tell you that if you open properties, alt enter, then issue the command insert b, the entire dialog will be read.  You will hear information you aren’t interested in but if you keep listening, you will hear free space, the number in bytes, and then the number in gigabytes, which is the number you want.  This command will work in either JAWS or NVDA.

You may want to get the information that way.  You may want to learn how to do the other things that have been discussed but whatever the case, that is one way you can get the information.

Gene

Gene

Chris Judge

JAWS Certified, 2021

Gene

Hi all,

Madison Martin

It doesn’t work for me

Sent: December 8, 2021 4:53 PM

I just tried insert tab using a very old version of JAWS and Windows 7.  The command does tell me the total capacity of the drive and how much free space there is. 

Gene

Gene

Gene

Chris Judge

JAWS Certified, 2021

Gene

Hi all,

Janet

HI Madison,

Are you saying if you press the insert plus the tab keys without opening the drive, you don’t hear how much space is on the drive? You are using Windows 10 Laptop with JAWS right?

Janet

Sent: Wednesday, December 8, 2021 4:58 PM

It doesn’t work for me

Gene

Gene

Gene

Chris Judge

JAWS Certified, 2021

Gene

Hi all,

Gene

You might be able to get it to work with a little fooling around, trying one or two things I won’t go into here.  But unless you are curious and want to play around, using the insert b command I described will give you the information. 

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2021 4:58 PM

It doesn’t work for me

Gene

Gene

Gene

Chris Judge

JAWS Certified, 2021

Gene

Hi all,

chris judge

That’s what I’m wondering as well, I swear I’m not high.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: December 8, 2021 6:02 PM

Hi Chris,

Chris Judge

Gene

Hi all,

chris judge

It’s a view issue. I just have to figure out what’s different with the views on the two pcs I’m referring to. I’ll figure it out wen I have an extra moment.

Sent: December 8, 2021 6:12 PM

Gene

Chris Judge

Gene

Hi all,

chris judge

On my windows 11 machine it works with all my drives. Not sure what’s different about the views here, I’ll have to fool around with it and figure it out.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Janet
Sent: December 8, 2021 6:48 PM

HI Mike, and All,

I am using Windows 10, and when I want to know how much space is left on my external drive is to press the insert plus tab keys, and this will tell me how much space I have left, and also tell me the size of the drive from when I first bought the drive, like Chris said. I’m not sure though if using a flash drive would make a difference to tell or  not, although, I don’t think so, as it should still give that information.    

Janet

Sent: Wednesday, December 8, 2021 4:01 PM

Hi Chris,

Chris Judge

Gene

Hi all,

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Chris,

When I change my, Group by, settings to, total size from the context menu in File Explorer I get used and total size with the, Insert + tab,
keystroke.

Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2021 3:33 PM

It’s a view issue. I just have to figure out what’s different with the views on the two pcs I’m referring to. I’ll figure it out wen I have an extra moment.

Sent: December 8, 2021 6:12 PM

Gene

Chris Judge

Gene

Hi all,

Sharon S

Hi, this is what I love about these lists. I had never heard of this command before. I tried it on my windows 10 machine running jaws 2021 and it works.

I’m using a list view if this makes a difference to anyone else.

Bye for now.

From Shaz.

Canberra, Australia.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of chris judge
Sent: Thursday, 9 December 2021 8:49 AM

Chris Judge

Gene

Hi all,