USB Type C Port Help Please

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi All,

We have an LENOVO 81YK IdeaPad running Windows 10 Pro latest, but when I plug an external drive into the USB type C port nothing happens.  I do mean nothing!  I'm using a type C cable that supports both charging and data transfer, but nothing happens.  Below is what I've found that these USB type C ports are supposed to do.

Description
[1]
USB-C connectors (Thunderbolt 3 compatible) / power connectors
The USB-C connectors on your computer support the latest USB 3.1 standard and are fully compatible with Thunderbolt 3 technology. With a proper USB-C cable connected, you can:
list of 5 items
• Transfer data between your computer and peripheral devices.
• Transfer data between your computer and another computer (Thunderbolt Networking).
• Charge your computer.
• Charge your peripheral devices.
• Connect your computer to external displays for video output.
list end

Well none of the above happens when I plug my SSD external drive into the type C port.  I can access the SSD external drive if i use a USB type A male to USB type C female adaptor, but that's the only way.

Has anyone ran into an issue like this and have a fix for the no connectivity, or am I totally  misunderstanding the way this USB type C port is supposed to work?
All help and input is greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Pablo Morales

Mike,

Other possibilities should be cleared up, such as for example. That the USB C Cable is not working well, or that the External Hard drive needs to change configurations to be able to connect through a USB C Port, or that the port of your computer is not configured correctly.

Connect other 2 different devices through the same USB C cable you are using.

If this test works, the cable is not the problem. However, you should try to connect other devices to your computer using the same USB port you where using before. If the problems repeats. You already know that there is a problem with your USB C in your computer. If the problem no appears. It means that the external hard drive needs some configurations to connect through the USB C port.

Take care,

[...]

Hi Pablo,

I don't have any other USB type C devices to connect, but I believe you hit on the problem.  I think the external SSD drive may not be configured to connect directly via a USB type C cable.  The drive came with a, USB type A male to USB type C male short little cable that's  a piece of crap.  The connectivity sucked, so I bought the type C to type C male cables as a work around, but I also bought some USB type A male to USB type C female adaptors that work really well for connecting the SSD drive to either of my wife's laptops.

These cables are highly rated and neither of them work on either of her laptops when using the cables by themselves, but when using the type C cables with the adaptors they work really well.  So, your thought of the problem being a SSD configuration setting is a good idea.  I'll contact the person I bought the drives from and talk to him about it and see what his thoughts are.  Thank you very much for your input.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

[...]

If the drive isn’t configured correctly should you still hear a connection sound even if nothing else happens?

[...]

This I wouldn't know since this is my first time using any type of a type C connection device, but I do hear the connection and disconnection sounds when using the USB type A to type C adaptors.

I would think that you would hear something, but when using just the type c cable nothing shows in Disk Management either.  Then again, when using the adaptor the drive shows as normal in ThisPC and Disk Management.

[...]

Perhaps someone else knows.  If you should hear a connection sound regardless of the configuration of the drive, that might answer the question of whether the cable or the USB port is faulty, though not which one is.

[...]

Thomas N. Chan

Unfortunately, it's not the standard which will auto detect what is connected to the port.
For  example in LG Gram, you need to go into LG control center and toggle charging. when its off, it will do what it will do in reverse.
for asus and surface pro, that does it automatically

I will connect that drive onto a USB C smartphone and see if the problem still persists.
and ask  the manufacturer  if there's a toggle.
Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

On Mon, 6 Dec 2021 at 11:30, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

Good morning Thomas,

Would this same behavior you explained with a smart phone happen with laptop computers as well?
[...]

I would like to thank all of you for your input.  I spoke to Lenovo tech support to get their opinion and the final result is the USB type C port on this particular laptop will only charge another device and not transfer data unless the correct USB Hub was purchased.  Also the USB type C port can be turned on / off through the Lenovo Vantage app and right now I do have the charging feature turned off.

Anyways, it's nice to finally know this ports capabilities and limitations.  Again, thank you all for everything.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

[...]

Try to get the hyperdrive hub, it supports charging and multiple ports. Mine comes with an ethernet port as well, and a few usb A, hdmi and best of all, it comes with an ancient 3.55mm jack for sound.

the main purpose for me to get that hub is meant for my ipad pro but, I realise  i can basically use  for all USB C devices including smart phones, laptops.

Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

On Tue, 7 Dec 2021 at 10:01, Mike B. <mb69mach1@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Thomas,

On Amazon they show several models of Hyperdrive Hubs, does your have a specific model number or name?  And to dial in a little more, how much did you pay for yours?  Amazon prices range from $69.99 to $99.99.  Thank you very much for this info.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

[...]

Hi again Thomas,

The Hyperdrive below sounds good, but it says it for, iPad Pro, MacBook Pro/Air.  Would this one still work with a Dell or Lenovo 64 bit laptop?  Or, do I need to find one that says it's for a PC as well?

HyperDrive USB-C Hub Adapter for iPad Pro, MacBook Pro/Air, Power 9-in-1 USBC Hub Dongle with 4K HDMI, USB-C PD, Gigabit Ethernet, Audio Jack, 3X USB 3.0,
Micro/SD Card Slots (Space Gray)
HyperDrive Power 9-in-1 USB-C Hub

HyperDrive POWER is the most portable and compact 9-in-1 USB-C hub in the market.

Turns a single USB-C into 9 ports: HDMI, Gigabit Ethernet, Micro SD, SD, 3 x USB-A, USB-C PD, and 3.5 mm Audio Jack. Extra long built-in USB-C cable and
3.5 mm audio jack designed to work perfectly with the latest 2018 iPad Pro as well as most USB-C devices. Precision milled aluminum enclosure, available
in Space Gray and Silver, with the same color, appearance and design lines as the MacBook Pro/Air and iPad Pro.
HyperDrive Power 9-in-1 USB-C Hub

With all the ports you need

list of 7 items
• HDMI supporting 4K@30Hz
• USB-C supporting max 60W full speed power delivery pass through charging
• SD (UHS-I 104MB/s)
• Micro SD (UHS-I 104MB/s
• 3 x USB 3.0 Gen 1 ports – 5Gb/s data speed as well as high power to your devices
• Gigabit Ethernet port - supports 10/100/1000Mbps
• 3.5mm Audio Jack
list end

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

[...]

Sorry, I didn't provide the one I got in my previous email.
I bought it directly from hyperdrive last year when it was at a good price.

I paid for it for $99 on black friday and I also got a lightning to usb c cable for free
Its a steal if you ask me and now its selling $169.

You might not need so many ports like I do, the one you provide should be alright.

I am quite sure it will work as I tested this hub on LG Gram and surface pro 6. I don't own those devices but I used it for my colleague for troubleshooting things

If you are concerned if it might not work, then go for amazon for money back guarantee.

I am quite sure it will work as hyperdrive has a passthrough charging port and the rest, you can use for your other peripherals through USB A.
Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

On Wed, 8 Dec 2021 at 11:06, Mike B. <mb69mach1@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you very very much for all your help.  You've been a great help with all the information you've provided for me.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

[...]

It's alright.
I have spent quite a bit of time finding the one that I need. I bought one from anker, aukey and a few local brand
Those other brands I mentioned, either one of the ports will not work if it is used on the computer/windows, I remember one of them will not allow me to charge.

The hyperdrive is just a good brand and they started from crowdsource and they are the first to be fully compatible  with apple product.

Enjoy your new purchase

Regards,
Thomas N. Chan