Topics

using gmail and thunderbird and getting lots of spam

Troy Burnham

Hi all,

I know there's another similar thread going on but after reading part of it I didn't see anything helpful so I thought I'd start my own thread.

I've been using thunderbird for a couple of years now and have been using gmail for a few months. There is a spam folder in my thunderbird and there used to never be anything in it but for the past couple of months that folder is staying full of spam, I realize it's a gmail problem and not a thunderbird problem but is there anything I can do? Btw I'm still on version 68 of thunderbird, I haven't upgraded to 78 yet because I've been seeing problems that other users are having.

Thanks.

Troy

Gene

The spam folder is emptied automatically in GMail every thirty days.  I doubt you can do anything.  Since you get so much spam, it would be a good idea to check the folder daily, perhaps more than once, depending on how fast mail builds up there, to be sure no messages that are legitimate end up there.

Gene

On 9/16/2020 11:23 AM, Troy Burnham wrote:
Hi all,

I know there's another similar thread going on but after reading part of it I didn't see anything helpful so I thought I'd start my own thread.

I've been using thunderbird for a couple of years now and have been using gmail for a few months. There is a spam folder in my thunderbird and there used to never be anything in it but for the past couple of months that folder is staying full of spam, I realize it's a gmail problem and not a thunderbird problem but is there anything I can do? Btw I'm still on version 68 of thunderbird, I haven't upgraded to 78 yet because I've been seeing problems that other users are having.

Thanks.

Troy

It's neither a Gmail problem nor a Thunderbird problem.

Gmail has some of the best spam filtering in the business, and it's doing with spam exactly what it should do - classifying it as such and moving those messages to the spam folder.

Gmail itself will, as Gene has noted, purge off anything in the spam folder that's older than 30 days each and every day, and that will be purged out of your spam folder under Thunderbird as well provided you're using IMAP access to your account, which has been the Gmail default access method for years now.

Neither Gmail nor Thunderbird have any ability to prevent you from getting spam nor to control the volume of spam you receive.  What they can do is filter/classify it appropriately and move it to a folder where it will not be a nuisance in daily life.

It is a good idea to check one's spam folder daily for any possible "not spam" messages that may have been classified as such incorrectly.  But I have not had Gmail do this to me for many years, and that's on multiple accounts.

Troy Burnham

The only reason I even go into the spam folder in thunderbird is to make sure there's nothing there that's been misclassified as spam that should've come to my inbox. I usually go in every couple of days and delete what's there because I can sometimes get a couple of hundred spam messages a day and I'd hate to have to go through that many messages looking for legitimate messages if I let them build up any longer than that. I just wonder why this problem just started recently when I've actually been using gmail for quite a while.

Troy

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 04:43 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
I just wonder why this problem just started recently when I've actually been using gmail for quite a while.
-
All it takes is a "spammer e-mail address sale," and they do sell lists to each other.  If you happen to have your address sold, particularly if it's sold to multiple other spammers, you can experience some pretty severe spikes in the volume of spam.  And while it usually comes down again, the level it comes down to is usually higher than whatever you were accustomed to before.