Using old iPhone as wifi hotspot

Fanus

Hello list

My mobile router is faulty, so I am considering to use an old iPhone SE as hotspot in which I can then insert my data sim card. Will this work and if so, has anyone an idea what would the reception range be? I need a mobile router or hotspot because I travel quite a lot. The other advantage is that I can check battery status and I can use apps which work via wifi.

Regards

Fanus

Sent from Mail for Windows

John Holcomb II

It’ll work, but  a dedicated hotspot would be a better solution.
You’ll get further range and speed.
Your phone battery will be eaten up very quickly by using it as a hotspot too.
Finally make sure you have plenty  of data.
For your needs, you might consider looking into a hotspot only plan that is separate  from your phone plan too.
John

Sent from my iPod

On Jul 11, 2022, at 5:09 AM, Fanus <buys.fanus@...> wrote:

Hello list

My mobile router is faulty, so I am considering to use an old iPhone SE as hotspot in which I can then insert my data sim card. Will this work and if so, has anyone an idea what would the reception range be? I need a mobile router or hotspot because I travel quite a lot. The other advantage is that I can check battery status and I can use apps which work via wifi.

Regards

Fanus

Sent from Mail for Windows

Fanus

Hello John

Thanks for your response. I was hoping not to spend money to purchase a new device. If you say the battery usage would be a problem then I shall have to spend.

Regards

Fanus

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

Well, you could try it (when not traveling) on your phone and see how it works as a trial run .