Using old iPhone as wifi hotspot

Fanus

Hello list

My mobile router is faulty, so I am considering to use an old iPhone SE as hotspot in which I can then insert my data sim card. Will this work and if so, has anyone an idea what would the reception range be? I need a mobile router or hotspot because I travel quite a lot. The other advantage is that I can check battery status and I can use apps which work via wifi.

Regards

Fanus

Sent from Mail for Windows

John Holcomb II

It’ll work, but  a dedicated hotspot would be a better solution.
You’ll get further range and speed.
Your phone battery will be eaten up very quickly by using it as a hotspot too.
Finally make sure you have plenty  of data.
For your needs, you might consider looking into a hotspot only plan that is separate  from your phone plan too.
John

Sent from my iPod

On Jul 11, 2022, at 5:09 AM, Fanus <buys.fanus@...> wrote:

Hello list

My mobile router is faulty, so I am considering to use an old iPhone SE as hotspot in which I can then insert my data sim card. Will this work and if so, has anyone an idea what would the reception range be? I need a mobile router or hotspot because I travel quite a lot. The other advantage is that I can check battery status and I can use apps which work via wifi.

Regards

Fanus

Fanus

Hello John

Thanks for your response. I was hoping not to spend money to purchase a new device. If you say the battery usage would be a problem then I shall have to spend.

Regards

Fanus

Sent: Monday, July 11, 2022 1:21 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Using old iPhone as wifi hotspot

For your needs, you might consider looking into a hotspot only plan that is separate  from your phone plan too.

John

Sent from my iPod

Hello list

Regards

Fanus

John Holcomb II

Well, you could try it (when not traveling) on your phone and see how it works as a trial run .

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Fanus
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2022 7:44 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hello John

Thanks for your response. I was hoping not to spend money to purchase a new device. If you say the battery usage would be a problem then I shall have to spend.

Regards

Fanus

Sent: Monday, July 11, 2022 1:21 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

John

Sent from my iPod

Hello list

Regards

Fanus