using windows 7/fix file path too long to delete

joanne

I have tried researching this but can only find trying to do what I want done with command prompt. I don't really understand those directions and wonder if I can delete a file that has a long path some other easier way. There was one solution I read using 7 zip file manager, but when I open file manager it doesn't give me a list of possible folders so I can direct it to the problem file. I hope someone can help. I really don't want or need these particular files and hope they can be easily deleted. Using windows 7 and jaws 2019.

Thanks.

Gene

See if you can move the files using x to cut and v to paste.  I don’t know if you can move them when you can’t delete them.  If you move them to a folder much closer to the root of the drive, you should be able to delete them.  If you can’t move them, you might try renaming them and making the file names very short.  You might name one a, and another b.  I don’t know if shortening the name would allow you to delete them but if moving them doesn’t work, that might.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2021 9:45 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] using windows 7/fix file path too long to delete

I have tried researching this but can only find trying to do what I want done with command prompt. I don't really understand those directions and wonder if I can delete a file that has a long path some other easier way. There was one solution I read using 7 zip file manager, but when I open file manager it doesn't give me a list of possible folders so I can direct it to the problem file. I hope someone can help. I really don't want or need these particular files and hope they can be easily deleted. Using windows 7 and jaws 2019.

Thanks.