Very Strange NVDA behavior

Dave

Hello,

I use the latest version of NVDA on a Tower running the latest Windows
10 Home Edition.

Up until a couple of weeks ago, this System ran fantastic.

Then, out of the Blues NVDA would start speaking items at random, and
sometimes repeating them.

I could be On Line, and suddenly, NVDA might speak the name of a Folder
I have on my Hard Drive.

Then it might speak some other seemingly random Menu item, or even a
File name, that was not on the screen at the time.  May have never been
on any screen during that session of Windows.

Sometimes it will speak something every 5, 10, 15, 20 seconds. Then it
won't speak for a while, maybe several minutes before something else
gets randomly spoken.

There is no obvious patterns, nor does it say the same things over and
over, from Windows Session to Windows Session.

This random speaking happens no matter if I have a program running or
not.  This isn't an On Line Browser problem, as it can happen at any
time, while I am using any program.

There are times when it will speak items within the program I have
running at the time, and again, this is just a random word, or file, or
folder name, or some Title of some kind.

What I've done to fix the problem is to erase any Configuration
Profiles.  I have reset all NVDA settings back to their Defaults. I have
even erased and then reinstalled NVDA, thinking this might help.  But so
far, nothing has solved the random speaking of random items by NVDA.

I thought it might be that I received an Update for Win 10 and I now
need to go back and turn off some feature in Win 10.  But, I do not have
any ideas of what I would need to turn off.

If anyone can offer some suggestions, I would be grateful, as this
random speaking problem is getting a bit old and bothersome.

Thanks for any reply,

Grumpy Dave

Quentin Christensen

Hi Dave,

I can't think of anything obvious.  Did you say whether you were using any add-ons and if so if you've disabled them?  Also, have you restarted the PC since you updated / reinstalled?

If all else fails, could you email me a copy of your NVDA log to have a look at please, ideally at debug level?
please send it attached to an email to info@....  Include a description of what you have done and what isn't working as it should (so I know what it's about in case I don't get to investigate today).

First of all, your NVDA key is either INSERT or CAPS LOCK, depending on how you have NVDA setup.  So, to set your log level:
1) Press NVDA+control+g to open the general settings
2) Press TAB until the focus is on 'Log level'
3) Press DOWN ARROW to get to 'Debug'
4) Press ENTER to close settings
5) Press NVDA+control+c to save settings.

To restart NVDA with add-ons disabled:
1) Press NVDA+Q
2) Down arrow to 'Restart with add-ons disabled'
3) Press ENTER

Next, recreate the issue - do whatever causes problems.

To get NVDA's log after that, there are several ways:

If NVDA is still running and usable:
1) Press NVDA+F1 to open the log viewer
2) Press CONTROL+A to select all.
3) Press CONTROL+C to copy.
4) Open your email and start a message to info@..., type a little about what you have done and what has happened in the body of the message, then leave a space and:
5) Press CONTROL+V to paste the copied log.

Instead of using the log viewer, or if NVDA has stopped and you needed to restart it or the computer:
1) Press WINDOWS+R to open Windows' Run dialog
2) Type %temp% and press ENTER (that's the percent sign, the letter t e m p and another percent sign).  Windows Explorer should open to the temporary folder.
3) Press TAB to move to the file list
4) Press N and move down to find up to three files:  nvda.log (the log file for the current or most recent NVDA session), nvda-old.log (the log from the previous session) and nvda-crash.dmp (a crash dump with more information created if NVDA itself crashes).
5) Depending on what email program you use, the steps will be different, but attach as many of those three files to an email to info@... as will be useful, and again in the body of the message describe a bit about what has happened.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager