Topics

viewing users on wifi

Kimsan

Hi,

Is there a program I can use to view who is all using my wifi that is jaws accessible?

Thanks

Gene

I can see all who are connected to my router in any way by looking at information on the web page the router displays if I use a browser to look at the proper page.  The router web pages are standard web pages and you likely have such web pages available as well.  There may be other faster ways, but that's probably one way you can get the information.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 11:48 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] viewing users on wifi

Hi,

Is there a program I can use to view who is all using my wifi that is jaws accessible?

Thanks

Gene

I just did it to refresh my memory of just how it can be done with my router.  It's reasonably fast and efficient unless it is a measure you want to take so often that you might want something like a utility, that might be faster.

If you go to your Router's web page, then book mark it, you can get the information quickly.  My router's home page shows the information in a table on the home page so, once I'm on the page, if you use control home to make sure you are at the top of the page, then type t once, you are at the beginning of the table. 

And a feature you may find useful is that it doesn't just show what is connected, it shows what has connected in the past even if its not connected now.  So you can see if a connection has been made that is not legitimate.  I haven't looked at this to any extent, but I seem to remember there is some way of disabling an unwanted device or connection, I'm not sure just what it is.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 1:03 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] viewing users on wifi

I can see all who are connected to my router in any way by looking at information on the web page the router displays if I use a browser to look at the proper page.  The router web pages are standard web pages and you likely have such web pages available as well.  There may be other faster ways, but that's probably one way you can get the information.

Gene

Hi,

Thanks

Lenny McHugh

I wonder how it works with Comcast xfinity? I use wifi all around town. When out of range of my home wifi network xfinity will use any router that is close by. So on my home network it is secured but on xfinity it is not. I often use it to listen to a news program when out and about. I also often use it when out of town using xfinity routers.

Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 2:15 PM

I just did it to refresh my memory of just how it can be done with my router.  It's reasonably fast and efficient unless it is a measure you want to take so often that you might want something like a utility, that might be faster.

If you go to your Router's web page, then book mark it, you can get the information quickly.  My router's home page shows the information in a table on the home page so, once I'm on the page, if you use control home to make sure you are at the top of the page, then type t once, you are at the beginning of the table. 

And a feature you may find useful is that it doesn't just show what is connected, it shows what has connected in the past even if its not connected now.  So you can see if a connection has been made that is not legitimate.  I haven't looked at this to any extent, but I seem to remember there is some way of disabling an unwanted device or connection, I'm not sure just what it is.

Gene

Gene

Hi,

Thanks

Duke

On a side note guys, What accessible router one can use?
thanks
Douk

Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 8:15 PM

I just did it to refresh my memory of just how it can be done with my router.  It's reasonably fast and efficient unless it is a measure you want to take so often that you might want something like a utility, that might be faster.

Gene

Gene

Hi,

Thanks

Gene

It will use any XFinity router.  It connects to the WiFi but not to the users' network.  I don't know what you would see in the devices list.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 1:48 PM

I wonder how it works with Comcast xfinity? I use wifi all around town. When out of range of my home wifi network xfinity will use any router that is close by. So on my home network it is secured but on xfinity it is not. I often use it to listen to a news program when out and about. I also often use it when out of town using xfinity routers.

I just did it to refresh my memory of just how it can be done with my router.  It's reasonably fast and efficient unless it is a measure you want to take so often that you might want something like a utility, that might be faster.

Gene

Gene

Hi,

Thanks

Kimsan

Hi Gene,

I saw all that info you mentioned, it seemed easy enough.

Thoughts on how to set up a guest network?

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 11:16 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Gene

Gene

Hi,

Thanks

Carolyn Arnold

How can that happen, when we always have to put in the code
to get anything on Wi-Fi?

Best regards,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 3:21 PM

It will use any XFinity router. It connects to the WiFi but
not to the users' network. I don't know what you would see
in the devices list.

Gene

To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

I wonder how it works with Comcast xfinity? I use wifi all
around town. When out of range of my home wifi network
xfinity will use any router that is close by. So on my home
network it is secured but on xfinity it is not. I often use
it to listen to a news program when out and about. I also
often use it when out of town using xfinity routers.

I just did it to refresh my memory of just how it can be
done with my router. It's reasonably fast and efficient
unless it is a measure you want to take so often that you
might want something like a utility, that might be faster.

If you go to your Router's web page, then book mark it, you
can get the information quickly. My router's home page
shows the information in a table on the home page so, once
I'm on the page, if you use control home to make sure you
are at the top of the page, then type t once, you are at the
beginning of the table.

And a feature you may find useful is that it doesn't just
show what is connected, it shows what has connected in the
past even if its not connected now. So you can see if a
connection has been made that is not legitimate. I haven't
looked at this to any extent, but I seem to remember there
is some way of disabling an unwanted device or connection,
I'm not sure just what it is.

Gene

I can see all who are connected to my router in any way by
looking at information on the web page the router displays
if I use a browser to look at the proper page. The router
web pages are standard web pages and you likely have such
web pages available as well. There may be other faster
ways, but that's probably one way you can get the
information.

Gene

<mailto:kimsansong=icloud.com@groups.io>

Hi,

Is there a program I can use to view who is all using my
wifi that is jaws accessible?

Thanks

Gene

I haven't set one up but I expect others will be able to tell you if it is standardized enough.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 3:05 PM

Hi Gene,

I saw all that info you mentioned, it seemed easy enough.

Thoughts on how to set up a guest network?

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 11:16 AM

Gene

Gene

Hi,

Thanks

Gene

This feature has nothing to do with the person's account who uses the modem for his personal use.  It allows another user to log onto the XFinity network.  The user provides information to log into XFinity.  He uses his own username and password.  This feature allows any user to log into XFinity using any XFinity router in his range.  This gives him access to XFinity, not in any way to the owner's private network.

Gene. 

Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 3:22 PM

Best regards,

Carolyn

It will use any XFinity router.  It connects to the WiFi but
not to the users' network.  I don't know what you would see
in the devices list.

Gene

done with my router.  It's reasonably fast and efficient

can get the information quickly.  My router's home page
beginning of the table. 

past even if its not connected now.  So you can see if a
connection has been made that is not legitimate.  I haven't

Gene

if I use a browser to look at the proper page.  The router
web pages available as well.  There may be other faster
information.

Gene

<mailto:kimsansong@...

Hi,

Thanks

Carolyn Arnold

Thanks. I never heard of XFinity, don't know what that is.

Best regards,

Carolyn

Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 5:36 PM

This feature has nothing to do with the person's account who
uses the modem for his personal use. It allows another user
to log onto the XFinity network. The user provides
information to log into XFinity. He uses his own username
and password. This feature allows any user to log into
XFinity using any XFinity router in his range. This gives
him access to XFinity, not in any way to the owner's private
network.

Gene.

Best regards,

Carolyn

<mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

in the devices list.

Gene

beginning of the table.

Gene

information.

Gene

Hi,

Thanks

Gene

It's a cable company.  I don't watch much commercial television but it appears you don't watch any.  they advertise constantly with the slogan "The future of awesome."

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 6:33 PM

Best regards,

Carolyn

uses the modem for his personal use.  It allows another user
to log onto the XFinity network.  The user provides
information to log into XFinity.  He uses his own username
and password.  This feature allows any user to log into
XFinity using any XFinity router in his range.  This gives
network.

Gene. 

Best regards,

Carolyn

It will use any XFinity router.  It connects to the WiFi but
not to the users' network.  I don't know what you would see
in the devices list.

Gene

done with my router.  It's reasonably fast and efficient

can get the information quickly.  My router's home page
beginning of the table. 

past even if its not connected now.  So you can see if a
connection has been made that is not legitimate.  I haven't

Gene

if I use a browser to look at the proper page.  The router
web pages available as well.  There may be other faster
information.

Gene

<mailto:kimsansong@...>

Hi,

Thanks

David Goldfield <david.goldfield@...>

Hi, Carolyn.

Xfinity is the consumer brand from Comcast. The products include TV, Internet, home security, home phone and mobile phone services and they all use the name Xfinity, such as Xfinity TV, Xfinity Internet, etc.

David Goldfield, Assistive Technology Specialist WWW.David-Goldfield.Com

On 11/21/2018 7:33 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:

Best regards,

Carolyn 

uses the modem for his personal use.  It allows another user
to log onto the XFinity network.  The user provides
information to log into XFinity.  He uses his own username
and password.  This feature allows any user to log into
XFinity using any XFinity router in his range.  This gives
network.

Gene.  

Best regards,

Carolyn 

It will use any XFinity router.  It connects to the WiFi but
not to the users' network.  I don't know what you would see
in the devices list.

Gene

done with my router.  It's reasonably fast and efficient

can get the information quickly.  My router's home page
beginning of the table.  

past even if its not connected now.  So you can see if a
connection has been made that is not legitimate.  I haven't

Gene

if I use a browser to look at the proper page.  The router
web pages available as well.  There may be other faster
information.

Gene

Hi,

Thanks

David Goldfield <david.goldfield@...>

Carolyn and others,

I'll be happy to answer some of these questions, if I can, as I'm an employee of Comcast.

I haven't read all of the messages in this thread and so I am sorry if I'm missing some of the context. If a customer has Xfinity Internet and rents a Comcast gateway they are able to use one of our apps, known as Xfi.

The Xfi app, among other things, allows the user to see who is on their network, along with what devices they are using as well.

It's available via our Web site, along with apps for both iOS and Android.

David Goldfield, Assistive Technology Specialist WWW.David-Goldfield.Com

On 11/21/2018 4:22 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:

Best regards,

Carolyn 

It will use any XFinity router.  It connects to the WiFi but
not to the users' network.  I don't know what you would see
in the devices list.

Gene

done with my router.  It's reasonably fast and efficient

can get the information quickly.  My router's home page
beginning of the table.  

past even if its not connected now.  So you can see if a
connection has been made that is not legitimate.  I haven't

Gene

if I use a browser to look at the proper page.  The router
web pages available as well.  There may be other faster
information.

Gene

Hi,

Thanks

Ron Canazzi

Hi Gene,

There are so many routers on the market that I doubt this is a standard manner of accessing the who and what of your WIFI connections. I did as you instructed and my D-link router shows no such table on the home page just after I log into it with my user name and password.  It must be buried somewhere deep within settings.

On 11/21/2018 2:15 PM, Gene wrote:

Gene

Gene

Hi,

Thanks

-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Gene

I don't know how many routers display that information on the home page.  Maybe we'll get an idea from other members.

In this case, we got lucky, the suggestion resulted in the information being seen.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 9:47 PM

Hi Gene,

There are so many routers on the market that I doubt this is a standard manner of accessing the who and what of your WIFI connections. I did as you instructed and my D-link router shows no such table on the home page just after I log into it with my user name and password.  It must be buried somewhere deep within settings.

On 11/21/2018 2:15 PM, Gene wrote:

Gene

Gene

Hi,

Thanks

-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Brian K. Lingard

Xfinity is the name of Comcast's WIFI network that is available to Comcast
Internet subscribers, either near their home, in a mall, hospital airport or
other public place. You may subscribe just to Xfinity if you want to use it,
but not have internet in your home.
Brian K. Lingard

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf of Carolyn
Arnold
Sent: November 21, 2018 19:33

Best regards,

Carolyn

[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf of Gene

This feature has nothing to do with the person's account who uses the modem
for his personal use. It allows another user to log onto the XFinity
network. The user provides information to log into XFinity. He uses his
own username and password. This feature allows any user to log into XFinity
using any XFinity router in his range. This gives him access to XFinity,
not in any way to the owner's private network.

Gene.

How can that happen, when we always have to put in the code to get anything
on Wi-Fi?

Best regards,

Carolyn

[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf of Gene

It will use any XFinity router. It connects to the WIFI but not to the
users' network. I don't know what you would see in the devices list.

Gene

I wonder how it works with Comcast XFinity? I use wifi all around town. When
out of range of my home wifi network XFinity will use any router that is
close by. So on my home network it is secured but on XFinity it is not. I
often use it to listen to a news program when out and about. I also often
use it when out of town using XFinity routers.

I just did it to refresh my memory of just how it can be done with my
router. It's reasonably fast and efficient unless it is a measure you want
to take so often that you might want something like a utility, that might be
faster.

If you go to your Router's web page, then book mark it, you can get the
information quickly. My router's home page shows the information in a table
on the home page so, once I'm on the page, if you use control home to make
sure you are at the top of the page, then type t once, you are at the
beginning of the table.

And a feature you may find useful is that it doesn't just show what is
connected, it shows what has connected in the past even if its not connected
now. So you can see if a connection has been made that is not legitimate.
I haven't looked at this to any extent, but I seem to remember there is some
way of disabling an unwanted device or connection, I'm not sure just what it
is.

Gene

I can see all who are connected to my router in any way by looking at
information on the web page the router displays if I use a browser to look
at the proper page. The router web pages are standard web pages and you
likely have such web pages available as well. There may be other faster
ways, but that's probably one way you can get the information.

Gene

Hi,

Is there a program I can use to view who is all using my wifi that is jaws
accessible?

Thanks

Carolyn Arnold

I don't pay much attention to commercials. Our Wi-Fi is from
the phone company, so maybe we won't have that problem.
Thanks for the information though.

Best regards,

Carolyn

Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 7:36 PM

It's a cable company. I don't watch much commercial
television but it appears you don't watch any. they
advertise constantly with the slogan "The future of
awesome."

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 6:33 PM

Best regards,

Carolyn

network.

Gene.

Best regards,

Carolyn

in the devices list.

Gene

beginning of the table.

Gene

information.

Gene

Hi,

Thanks

Carolyn Arnold

Probably I'll hear about it before the week is over, now that I am aware of Xfinity. I don't think we have it in our area - Spectrum is all I know of other than Dish and Direct.

Best regards,

Carolyn

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Goldfield
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 9:08 PM

Hi, Carolyn.

Xfinity is the consumer brand from Comcast. The products include TV, Internet, home security, home phone and mobile phone services and they all use the name Xfinity, such as Xfinity TV, Xfinity Internet, etc.

David Goldfield, Assistive Technology Specialist WWW.David-Goldfield.Com <http://WWW.David-Goldfield.Com> On 11/21/2018 7:33 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:

Best regards,

Carolyn

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

network.

Gene.

From: Carolyn Arnold <mailto:4carolyna@...> <mailto:4carolyna@...>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

Best regards,

Carolyn

<mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

in the devices list.

Gene

From: Lenny McHugh <mailto:LennyMcHugh@...> <mailto:LennyMcHugh@...>

beginning of the table.

Gene

information.

Gene

<mailto:kimsansong=icloud.com@groups.io> <mailto:kimsansong=icloud.com@groups.io>

Hi,

Thanks

Carolyn Arnold

I, how I wish we could get Comcast. I have a blind friend in Houston who has it and is very pleased with it. She said they worked with her about how to use the accessible remote.

Best regards,

Carolyn

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Goldfield
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 9:14 PM

Carolyn and others,

I'll be happy to answer some of these questions, if I can, as I'm an employee of Comcast.

I haven't read all of the messages in this thread and so I am sorry if I'm missing some of the context. If a customer has Xfinity Internet and rents a Comcast gateway they are able to use one of our apps, known as Xfi.

The Xfi app, among other things, allows the user to see who is on their network, along with what devices they are using as well.

It's available via our Web site, along with apps for both iOS and Android.

David Goldfield, Assistive Technology Specialist WWW.David-Goldfield.Com <http://WWW.David-Goldfield.Com> On 11/21/2018 4:22 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:

Best regards,

Carolyn

in the devices list.

Gene

From: Lenny McHugh <mailto:LennyMcHugh@...> <mailto:LennyMcHugh@...>

beginning of the table.

Gene

information.

Gene

<mailto:kimsansong=icloud.com@groups.io> <mailto:kimsansong=icloud.com@groups.io>

Hi,

Thanks