Topics

Wanting an accessible laser printer scanner copier

Holly

Tired of buying expensive ink cartridges. Looking for a laser printer that
is accessible. Just black and white is all I need, but must copy, scan and
print. Wireless would be nice, but not necessary.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Holly

heather albright

I would try hp they have an accessibility number, if they are truely accessible, they should be able to help you. hp accessibility number:18776567058. cheers Heather

----- Original Message -----
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 10:58 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Wanting an accessible laser printer scanner copier

Tired of buying expensive ink cartridges. Looking for a laser printer that
is accessible. Just black and white is all I need, but must copy, scan and
print. Wireless would be nice, but not necessary.

Holly

Mike B

Hi Holly,

If you could go to a big office store like Staples or something so you could feel the machines, it would be better for selecting one, but having stated the obvious I did a quick search on Amazon using the following as my search string.

Lazer black & white copier, printer, scanner.

I came up with several models that would give you an idea as to what machine you might want to look for if you have a chance to go to a store.  Speaking from personal experience I would go with the Brother or HP brands.  But, you might like what you find on Amazon or a similar website as well.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 8:58 AM

Tired of buying expensive ink cartridges.  Looking for a laser printer that
is accessible.  Just black and white is all I need, but must copy, scan and
print.  Wireless would be nice, but not necessary.

Holly

Holly

Thanks Heather:

I remember there being a toll free number where you could access help for finding accessible appliances and electronics, but I lost the number.

Maybe someone out there has it.

heather albright

I saw that number too, might find it off an NFB list! cheers Heather ps. i will look for it too.

To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 11:39 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Wanting an accessible laser printer scanner copier

Thanks Heather:

I remember there being a toll free number where you could access help for finding accessible appliances and electronics, but I lost the number.

Maybe someone out there has it.

Holly

Mike:

Thanks.  Just want to try to get one that does not have a touch pad, or if it does, it can also be controlled by the computer program.

I will check out your suggestions.

heather albright

Well, I would stay away from brother brands their tec support really sucks and their is no accessibility. They always ask the first thing is "do you have someone sighted there to help you..."  My response, "well if you count my sighted cat and my sighted dog but unfortunately we have a language barrier, so no they cant help."
I really hate it when tec support thinks all blind people have a sighted person just hanging around to help you! And before any one  comes up with the apps that gives you sighted help, I do not use them as they present me with privacy issues! Until these become more regulated, I choose not to use them.
I think all the products should have a non visual component besides, thought their was a law out there that was going to make it so.
cheers Heather

Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 11:32 AM

Hi Holly,

If you could go to a big office store like Staples or something so you could feel the machines, it would be better for selecting one, but having stated the obvious I did a quick search on Amazon using the following as my search string.

I came up with several models that would give you an idea as to what machine you might want to look for if you have a chance to go to a store.  Speaking from personal experience I would go with the Brother or HP brands.  But, you might like what you find on Amazon or a similar website as well.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

Holly

DJ

I’ve been using brother laser printers for 15 years and have not had a problem. It’s even easier if you use an app like Be My Eyes. Brother laser printers are fast and work very very well.

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 2:44 PM heather albright <kd5cbl@...> wrote:
Well, I would stay away from brother brands their tec support really sucks and their is no accessibility. They always ask the first thing is "do you have someone sighted there to help you..."  My response, "well if you count my sighted cat and my sighted dog but unfortunately we have a language barrier, so no they cant help."
I really hate it when tec support thinks all blind people have a sighted person just hanging around to help you! And before any one  comes up with the apps that gives you sighted help, I do not use them as they present me with privacy issues! Until these become more regulated, I choose not to use them.
I think all the products should have a non visual component besides, thought their was a law out there that was going to make it so.
cheers Heather

Hi Holly,

Holly

chris judge

Smile.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of heather albright
Sent: June 25, 2020 3:44 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

cheers Heather

Hi Holly,

Holly

Mike B

Hi Heather,

I'm not doubting your experience with Brother tech support in the least bit, but personally I've had the exact opposite experience with their tech support, but I must also state that I haven't had to call them in over 3 years and things could have changed.  Having owned Brother, Cannon and HP machines my least favorite was Canon for several reasons, mainly the Canon ink cartridges were junk.

Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 11:43 AM

cheers Heather

Hi Holly,

Holly

Mike B

Yes, that's why the suggestion of checking them out in person if possible.  My wife is sighted and can't stand the touch screens either.  Whenever the need has arisen for a new all in one we will go to 3 or 4 stores that sell this kind of equipment to see what is available.  It's damn sad but, the button types are slowly vanishing if not almost entirely gone now.

Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 10:08 AM

Mike:

Thanks.  Just want to try to get one that does not have a touch pad, or if it does, it can also be controlled by the computer program.

chris judge

I have a xerox work center 3210. It has buttons and no touch screen. It works great. It’s a lazar printer/scanner/copier/fax.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: June 25, 2020 4:06 PM

Yes, that's why the suggestion of checking them out in person if possible.  My wife is sighted and can't stand the touch screens either.  Whenever the need has arisen for a new all in one we will go to 3 or 4 stores that sell this kind of equipment to see what is available.  It's damn sad but, the button types are slowly vanishing if not almost entirely gone now.

Mike:

E.M. Kirtley

I have a Canon D530/D560 laser printer/scanner/fax that works well, also. 

Ms. E. Kirtley

~

Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 12:29 PM

I have a xerox work center 3210. It has buttons and no touch screen. It works great. It’s a lazar printer/scanner/copier/fax.

Yes, that's why the suggestion of checking them out in person if possible.  My wife is sighted and can't stand the touch screens either.  Whenever the need has arisen for a new all in one we will go to 3 or 4 stores that sell this kind of equipment to see what is available.  It's damn sad but, the button types are slowly vanishing if not almost entirely gone now.

Mike:

Monte Single

Hi Chris,

Is the Xerox work center  fairly new or something you have had for a few years

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of chris judge
Sent: June-25-20 1:29 PM

Mike:

chris judge

I think I bought it in either 2015 or 2016, I can’t remember for sure.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Monte Single
Sent: June 25, 2020 5:51 PM

Hi Chris,

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of chris judge

Mike:

Norman

Hello.

What is defined as an accessible printer/scanner?

I have an hp officejet pro 9015 which has a touch screen. However, there is no need for me to actually use that touch screen. I can plug it into my network using an ethernet cable and do everything i need to from the browser based control panel.

This includes setting up wifi and other things like that.

The only thing you need the physical control panel for is to use the copy/scan functions from the printer itself. If you have a computer you don't need it.

HTH.

On 6/25/2020 6:37 PM, chris judge wrote:

I think I bought it in either 2015 or 2016, I can’t remember for sure.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Monte Single
Sent: June 25, 2020 5:51 PM

Hi Chris,

Mike:

Holly

Norman:

I now have an Epson Workforce 3620.  I can do everything from the computer, except copy, which I need the touchpad to do.

I am trying to get away from an ink jet printer, as the ink is very expensive and I don’t do any color printing.

Norman

Holly.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Just a workaround on how you could copy without the panel.

If you have a scan app like windows scan you could scan what you want to copy and print it out. It takes a bit longer but has the advantage that you would then have digital records of whatever you copy as well.

As for a good laser printer, I'm not really sure what to say. I've always hated printer shopping as there are so many options. My best advice is spend a little more money for a better printer because you'll probably have larger cartridges.

Also, If you don't want to buy ink from epson at retail prices you can shop ebay for genuine epson cartridges. These usually are considerably cheaper than retail but you have to know exactly what you want. I'm not advocating you go out and buy aftermarket cartridges on ebay, just genuine ones. This is what i do for my hp printer and i can usually get them for at least 20% less than retail. I've already seen them at half price.

HTH.

On 6/25/2020 7:59 PM, Holly wrote:
Norman:

I now have an Epson Workforce 3620.  I can do everything from the computer, except copy, which I need the touchpad to do.

I am trying to get away from an ink jet printer, as the ink is very expensive and I don’t do any color printing.

Holly

Norman:

I will take a look on EBay.  I just want to make sure I get genuine Epson cartridges.

I am happy with the printer, except for the cost of the cartridges, which don’t last as long as I think they should.  I don’t do much printing, but seem to be buying a lot of ink.

Mary Smith

Holly, I'm not sure if you use amazon but you might want to compare the cost of cartridges on there as well as Ebay.

On 2020-06-25 8:21 p.m., Holly wrote:
Norman:

I will take a look on EBay. I just want to make sure I get genuine Epson cartridges.

I am happy with the printer, except for the cost of the cartridges, which don’t last as long as I think they should. I don’t do much printing, but seem to be buying a lot of ink.