Topics

Website Question

Shelly Kane

Hi Group:

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place that's accessible to find books of the Bible?  I'm doing a class and would like to find a website with the books of the Bible where I can go to the site and pick which took I want to read and I would be able to find the chapters easily.  I'm looking for a Catholic Bible.  If no one knows, I perfectly understand.  Thanks in advance.

Shelly

Ron Canazzi

Hi Shelly,

Here is a site called Catholic Online Bible.  They bark at you a lot for donations (go figure) but at this time, you can access each of the books individually and chapters as well.
https://www.catholic.org/bible/books_bible.php#content

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

The site Ron gave has a different version of the Bible than the newest one made available and the newest one is probably the one your class is using. I don't know if or how much it matters but if you want to use what is likely the same one, with the same introductions to books and footnotes, this site will provide it:
The site Ron gave has a different version of the Bible than the newest one made available and the newest one is probably the one your class is using. I don't know if or how much it matters but if you want to use what I suspect is likely the same one, with the same introductions to books and footnotes, this site will provide it:
https://bible.usccb.org/bible

I am not a Catholic but I suspect the version on the site Ron gave is the Scolfield Bible. I didn't find an attribution on the site but I compared and it definitely isn't the version on the USCCB site.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place that's accessible to
find books of the Bible? I'm doing a class and would like to find a
website with the books of the Bible where I can go to the site and pick
which took I want to read and I would be able to find the chapters
easily. I'm looking for a Catholic Bible. If no one knows, I perfectly
understand. Thanks in advance.

Shelly

Gene

this site gives links to read four approved Catholic Bibles. You may want
to ask which version is used in your class and if the instructor cares which
version you use.
https://mycatholic.life/bible/

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place that's accessible to
find books of the Bible? I'm doing a class and would like to find a
website with the books of the Bible where I can go to the site and pick
which took I want to read and I would be able to find the chapters
easily. I'm looking for a Catholic Bible. If no one knows, I perfectly
understand. Thanks in advance.

Shelly

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Oh my, you mean there is actually a person who isn't familiar with Xavier Society for the Blind? You could get the newest Roman Catholic translation of The Bible on CD for free if you wanted it, plus the weekly readings for Sunday Mass. they have all kinds of religious material in Braille and also in .brf and audio.

Xavier Society for the Blind
248 35th Street
Suite 1502
New York, New York 10001-2505
https://xaviersocietyfortheblind.org/
(212) 473-7800

They're a Jesuit ministry. I get the weekly readings from them, and I have the Bible on CD. Yes, you can access the books with ease and go to the verses you want. They've been operating for a hundred and twenty years. They also have a very nice braille pocket calendar which I love. It's not too big and it has the year's calendar including holidays and feast days and saints' days. It's very handy. Just ask them to send you one.

Now if you just want to get the occasional Bible verse or chaptger, the best place is:

http://www.biblegateway.org

HTH,
Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Yes, I like the USCCB site. I get the daily readings from them in email. If you go to the site Gene mentioned, you can sign up for that.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

According to the US Catholic Conference of Bishops, here are all the approved bible versions. I believe I downloaded one of them years ago, chapter by chapter, book by book, but I can't find it now.

Books of the New Testament, Alba House
Contemporary English Version - New Testament, First Edition, American Bible Society
Contemporary English Version - Book of Psalms, American Bible Society
Contemporary English Version - Book of Proverbs, American Bible Society
The Grail Psalter (Inclusive Language Version), G.I.A. Publications
New American Bible, Revised Edition (NABRE)
New Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition, National Council of Churches
The Psalms, Alba House
The Psalms (New International Version) - St. Joseph Catholic Edition, Catholic Book Publishing Company
The Psalms - St. Joseph New Catholic Version, Catholic Book Publishing Company
Revised Psalms of the New American Bible (1991)
So You May Believe, A Translation of the Four Gospels, Alba House
Good News Translation (Today's English Version, Second Edition), American Bible Society
Translation for Early Youth, A Translation of the New Testament for Children, Contemporary English

-----Original Message----- From: Shelly Kane
Sent: Monday, December 28, 2020 4:14 AM
To: techtalk@groups.io

       Hi Group:

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place that's accessible to
find books of the Bible?  I'm doing a class and would like to find a
website with the books of the Bible where I can go to the site and pick
which took I want to read and I would be able to find the chapters
easily.  I'm looking for a Catholic Bible.  If no one knows, I perfectly
understand.  Thanks in advance.

Shelly

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Carolyn Arnold

I downloaded the King James Version from BARD.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place that's accessible to find books of the Bible? I'm doing a class and would like to find a website with the books of the Bible where I can go to the site and pick which took I want to read and I would be able to find the chapters easily. I'm looking for a Catholic Bible. If no one knows, I perfectly understand. Thanks in advance.

Shelly

Shelly Kane

Ron:

Thank you so much.  I will be sure and give it a try and let you know how I make out.  There is a Bishops website that I tried but it's difficult for me to use.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong. You can get the Mass readings on there as well.  The site if you want to check it out to see if you have any problem is: usccb.org/bible/readings

On 12/28/2020 2:13 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Shelly,

Here is a site called Catholic Online Bible.  They bark at you a lot for donations (go figure) but at this time, you can access each of the books individually and chapters as well.
https://www.catholic.org/bible/books_bible.php#content

On 12/28/2020 5:14 AM, Shelly Kane wrote:
Hi Group:

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place that's accessible to find books of the Bible?  I'm doing a class and would like to find a website with the books of the Bible where I can go to the site and pick which took I want to read and I would be able to find the chapters easily.  I'm looking for a Catholic Bible.  If no one knows, I perfectly understand. Thanks in advance.

Shelly

Shelly Kane

Gene:

I was just telling Ron about the site you gave me.  I will definitely try it the way you gave it to me.  When I visit the site, I put in:  usccb.org/bible/readings and then I go to books of the Bible and I found it difficult.  Maybe this way will be easier.  I will give this a try also.  Did you find it accessible with screen readers?  I just want to be able to look at a list of books and pick the one I want and then look at the chapters and then click on a chapter.  Does this site you were telling me about work like that?

Shelly

Sent: Monday, December 28, 2020 4:14 AM
To: techtalk@groups.io

       Hi Group:

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place that's accessible to
find books of the Bible?  I'm doing a class and would like to find a
website with the books of the Bible where I can go to the site and pick
which took I want to read and I would be able to find the chapters
easily.  I'm looking for a Catholic Bible.  If no one knows, I perfectly
understand.  Thanks in advance.

Shelly

Shelly Kane

Ann:

Thank you so much.  I do know about them but I'm not interested in that.  I would rather do things on my phone or computer.  Thank you for the suggestion though.

Shelly

On 12/28/2020 6:09 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the information.  I'm ahead of you there.  Have been getting emails for years.  Thank you.

Shelly

On 12/28/2020 6:16 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Hi all,

Yes, I like the USCCB site.  I get the daily readings from them in email.  If you go to the site Gene mentioned, you can sign up for that.

Ann P.

Shelly Kane

Hi Group:

I went to the Bishops website but I did what Gene said and it came up with no problem.  I clicked on books of the Bible and was able to find the book I wanted.  I had to do some maneuvering but I think with every website that will happen.  I don't know what version it was that I was reading from but if I'm not mistaken, it may have been the New American Bible.  I think the teacher told me it automatically goes to that one which is fine.  I like it because it told me the number of the verse that I was on and I was able to click what chapter I needed.  The only thing that happened is occasionally Jaws kept saying same page.  Do any of you have that issue and if so, can anything be done about it?  Thank you all so much for your help.

Shelly

Gene

What do you mean difficult? Press enter on the book of the Bible you want to read, then find the verse you want to read and press enter. But without knowing what you find difficult, I might not be addressing your problem if I go into further detail. If the problem is that you have problems finding the book you want or where the versus begin or some such problems let us know. I've never seen a Bible site where you might not have such problems but they can be easily eliminated with navigation techniques that may help with many sites.

Sent: Monday, December 28, 2020 4:14 AM
To: techtalk@groups.io

Hi Group:

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place that's accessible to
find books of the Bible? I'm doing a class and would like to find a
website with the books of the Bible where I can go to the site and pick
which took I want to read and I would be able to find the chapters
easily. I'm looking for a Catholic Bible. If no one knows, I perfectly
understand. Thanks in advance.

Shelly

Gene

It says same page link because the link takes you somewhere on the same page or opens new information on the same page. While you can stop this one way or another, you may find that useful at times. I don't use JAWS so I'll leave it to others to tell you how to stop that announcement. I know of a way but there may be a better one.

I went to the Bishops website but I did what Gene said and it came up
with no problem. I clicked on books of the Bible and was able to find
the book I wanted. I had to do some maneuvering but I think with every
website that will happen. I don't know what version it was that I was
reading from but if I'm not mistaken, it may have been the New American
Bible. I think the teacher told me it automatically goes to that one
which is fine. I like it because it told me the number of the verse
that I was on and I was able to click what chapter I needed. The only
thing that happened is occasionally Jaws kept saying same page. Do any
of you have that issue and if so, can anything be done about it? Thank
you all so much for your help.

Shelly

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

You can play the CD's on your computer if you want. You can also get .brf files that will also play on your computers.

Bible Gateway has mulpiple versions of the Bible and may very will have the latest Catholic edition.

Glad you found what you were looking for.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

'Same Page' means that a link will take you to a portion of the page you're currently looking at. You don't want Jaws not to say this.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Shelly Kane

Gene:

Thanks for your help.  I was able to find the book and the chapter that I wanted.  I just have to arrow down a lot.   Glad that it's working.

Shelly

Sent: Monday, December 28, 2020 4:14 AM
To: techtalk@groups.io

       Hi Group:

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place that's accessible to
find books of the Bible?  I'm doing a class and would like to find a
website with the books of the Bible where I can go to the site and pick
which took I want to read and I would be able to find the chapters
easily.  I'm looking for a Catholic Bible.  If no one knows, I perfectly
understand.  Thanks in advance.

Shelly

Shelly Kane

Thank you Gene!  I can deal with it.  I wouldn't want to do anything to mess it up.

Shelly

Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2020 4:28 AM
To: techtalk@groups.io

       Hi Group:

I went to the Bishops website but I did what Gene said and it came up
with no problem.  I clicked on books of the Bible and was able to find
the book I wanted.  I had to do some maneuvering but I think with every
website that will happen.  I don't know what version it was that I was
reading from but if I'm not mistaken, it may have been the New American
Bible.  I think the teacher told me it automatically goes to that one
which is fine.  I like it because it told me the number of the verse
that I was on and I was able to click what chapter I needed.  The only
thing that happened is occasionally Jaws kept saying same page. Do any
of you have that issue and if so, can anything be done about it? Thank
you all so much for your help.

Shelly

Gene

Do you use such commands as skip blocks of links on web pages and move by heading? Also, you can move immediately to a book of the Bible by using the screen-reader's search command to find it. You don't have to type the whole name, generally the first four letters will work in a search either on the first one or the first repetition. If I am in
Genesis, and I want to get to the links to the verses, I can do so reasonably efficiently by searching for Genesis from the top of the page again. that serves as the title of the page and, of course, of the book. Down arrowing a few times takes you right to the verse links.

If you don't use these sorts of skills, learning about them and developing them will help you browse in many cases much more efficiently. I'll present other suggestions of how to browse efficiently if you wish.