Welcome to the latest members (we're at 86 now)

Carlos

As the subject says, thanks to everyone who has subscribed so far and I will do my best to make this work.  We already have quite a few knowledgeable members who have signed on.  I would like to believe that I'm fairly open minded so hopefully this will be reflected in how the list is managed.  Don't hesitate to share your thoughts and opinions LOL or to let me know when I'm being an idiot.  There are really only a few basic rules.

1. Discussions , questions, and articles about all types of technology are allowed.

2. Discussion of illegal activities is not allowed.  If you are not sure if a particular subject qualifies as illegal, feel free to ask me in a private message.

3. Try to be civilized.

4. Too many rules become restrictive and cramp my style so just use common sense.

Regards,
Carlos

I admire the fact that you created a new list. I am a pro lurker so I
have more experience with reading than responding so have a good idea
of how you handle things. I just hope that when it comes time to
enforce some sort of rule that it is handled in a way that doesn't
pulsate with a vibe of "1984" or make me feel like I am in school
again and someone was caught talking during class. I understand there
needs to be rules, but how they are enforced is handled can piss off
people. I'm not talking about those that can find anything in almost
everything to get mad about, I'm sure people understand what I'm
saying there. Speaking from experience it can be tough going from a
peon position to one of management and not look like you are being a
bully or betraying the people who think of you as a friend. I hope
that line isn't too hard to achieve here. Moderating anything can be
hard, dealing with a bunch of different people with different ideas
about how things should be and not looking like a total dictator or
asshole can be hard too.

Melissa

On 8/30/15, Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
[...]

Hi Melissa,
All I can say is that I will try my best to respond in a fair and reasonable manner without being antagonistic. As it says in the list description, I am neither a dictator or a lawyer so I think I can avoid micro managing or crossing the line into being a bully.

[...]

Carolyn Arnold

Sounds just right like the baby bear's soup.

Best from,

Carolyn

[...]

I, for one, am willing to trust in Carlos's discretion. On a very small scale, I know how to manage a group. I have wanted to step down, but I'm told that my discretion help keeps everyone on track. If I can do that, I feel very confident that Carlos can.

Best from,

Carolyn

[...]

Christina Stolze

Carlos,

Those rules sound very reasonable. I am glad to be a part of this list everyone is so nice and helpful and knowledgeable. I have learned a lot and I look forward to learning a lot more. Have a great night.

Christina

[...]

Lynn White

Carlos,

I like your rules.  They make total sense.

On 8/30/2015 6:32 PM, Carlos wrote:
[...]

Hi Lynn,
Thanks and glad to have you here.  Despite differences of opinion between myself and the owners/moderators of BlindTech, I wish them luck and harbor no ill will.  If I don't resubscribe, it's in part because I think it was time for me to move on to something new and now that I've created this list I believe I should focus my efforts here.  I've never really subscribed to more than a couple of mailing lists at a time anyway LOL just for the sake of keeping the amount of incoming mail to a dull roar.

[...]

Hey Carlos,

Just so you know, when I had advised not to create a new list, I was not being critical.  Was just trying to give them a chance to right the ship.

But, this is a fine list and I would see no reason for either list to close down.  Even if I ever owned that list again, I would glad be here as well.

No worries you guys.  I have no plans to own that list again.  I'm loving my retirement from a nine to five job too much.

On 8/31/2015 2:37 AM, Carlos wrote:
[...]

No worries, I did not take it as criticism.  I know that there are other members like Gene for example who were also concerned about creating yet another list and causing fragmentation/confusion.  And while I agree with and share some of those concerns, there is a limit to what you can do when the differences in opinion about how a list should be managed cannot be easily reconciled.

[...]

Troy Burnham

Hi All,

I just joined last night after reading the thread on BlindTech mentioning that this list had been created and I'm very happy to be here, you are really a wealth of information Carlos and in case you decide not to go back to BlindTech I joined this list to continue receiving your expertise.

Troy

[...]

Thank you for the kind words Troy and welcome to the list.

[...]

Pat Seed

It is good to see so many familiar faces, who have come with their technological expertise to share.
Blessings and All the Very Best,
Pat Seed

[...]

No virus found in this message.

Carlos

Welcome Pat,
Glad to have you here.

[...]

Adrien Collins <adriencollins22160@...>

Hi Carlos

Agreed, I always find your messages useful and informative,
good luck with the new group carlos.

Regards

Adrien

[...]

Right there with you bro.

[...]