Topics

what is the differenc between thunder bird and othermail programs like outlook express?

heather albright

Thank you, I had sent the message again as I noticed the mistakes in my first message but, was not quick enough to stop it; woe! Just for clarification, is the slim version on ninite? I like to use slim programs if I can.

Thanks cheers Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, November 4, 2020 4:18 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] what is the differenc between thunder bird and othermail programs like outlook express?

I

Gene

I've never heard of a slim version of Thunderbird.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2020 4:34 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] what is the differenc between thunder bird and othermail programs like outlook express?

Thank you, I had sent the message again as I noticed the mistakes in my first message but, was not quick enough to stop it; woe! Just for clarification, is the slim version on ninite? I like to use slim programs if I can.

Thanks cheers Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, November 4, 2020 4:18 PM

I

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 05:55 PM, Gene wrote:
-
Gene, just for the record, the term "slim" is often used to mean portable, as it does not involve any changes to the operating system on which it is used (sometimes considered "bloat" of a sort).

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

~ Technician with the username Computer Bloke, on Technibble.com

Gerald Levy

"Slim"can also  refer to a program that can be installed without also surreptitiously installing unwanted crapware.  For example, CCleaner has a slim version that installed only CCleaner itself without other unwanted Piriform programs like Avastt, which many blind computer users often wind up installing inadvertently much to their chagrin, because it is very difficult to uninstall. Thunderbird has no slim version, but downloading it from the Ninite site ensures that no unwanted garbage will also be installed. 

Gerald

On 11/4/2020 6:14 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
-
Gene, just for the record, the term "slim" is often used to mean portable, as it does not involve any changes to the operating system on which it is used (sometimes considered "bloat" of a sort).

--

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Gerald,

Also correct.  A third meaning sometimes meant by "slim" in reference to a program is a version that's "stripped down" to its core functions, dumping most of the seldom used "bells and whistles" that are in full versions.

If ever there were a fuzzy adjective in the world of computing, "slim" is it!
--

Gene

That's interesting.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2020 5:14 PM

I've never heard of a slim version of Thunderbird.-

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041

Pamela Dominguez

Also, when I had window bridge, there was a part of it called slimware, which, I found out, was a dos screenreader.  But I didn’t know that until I was getting rid of window bridge.  Pam.

Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2020 6:53 PM

Gerald,

Also correct.  A third meaning sometimes meant by "slim" in reference to a program is a version that's "stripped down" to its core functions, dumping most of the seldom used "bells and whistles" that are in full versions.

If ever there were a fuzzy adjective in the world of computing, "slim" is it!
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

Virus-free. www.avg.com