Topics

What is the purpose ofMacrium Reflect

Fanus

Hello list
I had my hard drive replaced with a SSD drive. The IT guy cloned my drive so
that I do not lose stuff. On my desktop is a program "macrium Reflect" which
was not there. Does anyone know this software?
Regards
Fanus

Gerald Levy

Macrium Reflect is a free image backup and restoration program.  It is used to create a backup image of your local drive on an external portable hard drive that can be used to restore your system in the event of a catastrophic failure or if you install a new local drive, as you did.  The program includes an option for creating a rescue CD that can be used to restore the backup image from the external portable drive.  Creating a backup image with Macrium Reflect is completely accessible with JAWS.  However, sighted help is needed to restore this image using the rescue CD because their is no speech available during the restoration procedure. Your technician may have installed this program on your computer to create a backup image of your hard drive on an external drive before he installed the new SSD to replace it, and then used this image to restore your newSSD to the state your computer was in before he installed the SSd.

Gerald

On 9/15/2020 8:16 AM, Fanus wrote:
Hello list
I had my hard drive replaced with a SSD drive. The IT guy cloned my drive so
that I do not lose stuff. On my desktop is a program "macrium Reflect" which
was not there. Does anyone know this software?
Regards
Fanus

Monte Single

I think it is the program the tech used to do the cloning.

I had my hard drive replaced with a SSD drive. The IT guy cloned my drive so
that I do not lose stuff. On my desktop is a program "macrium Reflect" which
was not there. Does anyone know this software?
Regards
Fanus

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Mr. Levy and Mr. Single are correct.   And if you do not have an external backup drive and a routine cyclic backup protocol in place, you should.  Every computer owner should if they value their data, as if you have a catastrophic drive failure without a backup to restore from, well . . .

I wrote the following for one of my blind clients several years ago:  Using Macrium Reflect Free with a Screen Reader

Fanus

Hello Gerald and others

Thanks for the explanation. Up to now I used Casper to do backups and clones, however I have version 7 because I did not want to pay for the upgrades. So perhaps I should start to use Macrium instead.

Regards

Fanus