Topics

What's Up With Directions for Me?

Gerald Levy

I am trying to obtain cooking instructions for a package of Celentano frozen Eggplant Parmigiana.  Using both IE 11 and Firefox 40, I typed “Celetano Eggplant Parmigiana and directions for me” into the Google search edit field. The first search result was a ling to the Directions for Me page for this product, but when I activated it, the page that loaded stated that Directions for Me was offline due to major renovations , and would be back soon.  But it has been offline since July 1, and now, more than two months later,it still not back online.  And there are apparently no longer any cached pages for Directions for Me available in either IE or Firefox because Google only keeps cached pages for 30 days, and the cached pages for Directions for Me are now more than 30 days old.  I tried visiting the Celentano web site directly, but could not find cooking instructions for this product, or any other product, for that matter.  I even tried scanning the package using Open Book 9, but it could not recognize the cooking instructions printed on it.  Since Directions for Me is apparently not functioning at the present time, is there any other web site for obtaining cooking instructions for specific products, or any other work around aside from asking a sighted person to read them directly from the package?

Gerald

Rob <captinlogic@...>

Gerald Levy <bwaylimited@...> wrote:

Since Directions for Me is apparently not functioning at the present time, is there any other web site for obtaining cooking instructions for specific products, or any other work around aside from asking a sighted person to read them directly from the package?

Try the UPC. If you have a bar code scanner, log into the digit-eyes database. They will sometimes link you to product pages.

Gerald Levy

I was afraid somebody would mention using a bar code scanner.  I don’t have one and have no plans to purchase one anytime soon because they are still too expensive for my budget.

Gerald

Since Directions for Me is apparently not functioning at the present time, is there any other web site for obtaining cooking instructions for specific products, or any other work around aside from asking a sighted person to read them directly from the package?

Try the UPC. If you have a bar code scanner, log into the digit-eyes database. They will sometimes link you to product pages.

Gene

When searching for things, don't assume what you will and won't find.  In this case, search for directions for Celentano frozen Eggplant Parmigiana and see what you find.  I found as the first result, the page of the manufacturer which contains directions.  I didn't have to follow links to see that the directions were there.  I looked at the page excerpts below the link to the page and determined that I could see the instructions by following the link.

Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 10:52 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] What's Up With Directions for Me?

[...]

Onwardbob

If you don't mind a back door work around try the Safeway grocery delivery at https://shop.safeway.com/ecom/account/sign-in/
If Safeway doesn't actually deliver in your area you could still open an account using a zip code from an area where they do such as 92832. Included in the Product Info area for each product they carry is the product directions. I highly recommend the Safeway online shopping service. I find it easy to work with. The selection is as good as in their stores even if the prices aren't always the lowest possible. The delivery charge is reasonable and can frequently be avoided altogether.

BOB SOUTAR…ONWARD THRU THE FOG

Since Directions for Me is apparently not functioning at the present time, is there any other web site for obtaining cooking instructions for specific products, or any other work around aside from asking a sighted person to read them directly from the package?

Try the UPC. If you have a bar code scanner, log into the digit-eyes database. They will sometimes link you to product pages.

Gerald Levy

Shows you how old I am. There used to be a Safeway supermarket right here in my upper Manhattan neighborhood more than 50 years ago. But in the early 1960's, Safeway closed all of its East Coast stores and retreated to the West Coast because it could not compete against archrival A&P, once the largest supermarket chain in the US. But A&P, which is now a fraction of its original size, recently filed a second time for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and will close or sell off all of its remaining stores by Thanksgiving. The once iconic Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company is great no more. Anyway, I'll check out the Safeway site even though they would have to send a drone 3000 miles to deliver to my kitchen window. Sorry, I forgot. Amazon is the company that's putzing around with drone delivery. LOL!!

Gerald

[...]

Hi Gerald, and like I said you don't need to actually order anything...or did I?

[...]

I tried the Safeway site, but could not find many of the products I normally buy because they are distributed regionally, mostly east of the Mississippi. But I discovered that Wegmans.com, which is based in upstate New York and was recently rated by Consumer Reports as the best supermarket chain in the country, does indeed list cooking instructions for most of the products I buy. They are even planning to open their first store in New York City in the near future, but it will be located on the site of the former Brooklyn Navy Yard, which is difficult to reach by public transit from where I live. But at least I can shop downtown at Trader Joe's, which was also top-rated by Consumer Reports, and is easy to reach by subway. It is way better than the International Fine Fare supermarket right across the street from my apartment complex whose rude customer service, cluttered aisles and high prices are anything but fine. But where else can I find a live lobster tank? I wave to the critters every time I pass the seafood counter. But at $21 a pound, lobster is definitely not in my diet plans. LOL!

Gerald

[...]

Glad to hear that it worked out for you. We have TJ's here in Southern California, it's an awesome store full of goodies.

[...]

Monica Jones

That’s not good for me. I spent all that money for Digit-Eyes and never could read a single bar code with it. I know some who have had some success, but I’ve never gotten any of those IDevice bar code scanners to work for me. I have better luck with the ones that take a picture such as Tap Tap See.

Since Directions for Me is apparently not functioning at the present time, is there any other web site for obtaining cooking instructions for specific products, or any other work around aside from asking a sighted person to read them directly from the package?

Try the UPC. If you have a bar code scanner, log into the digit-eyes database. They will sometimes link you to product pages.

Monni, the coffee gal
Twitter, @Monni52
Skype, Monnirose52
Facebook, Monica Rose Jones