Topics

When I go in to my documents to look at the files there I can't see them

Jamie

Hi, everyone,
I am using Jaws 20 and my computer is windows 8.1.
When I go in to my documents to look at the files there I can't see them. It’s like they’re not there, even though I know they are.
Can anyone help?
Thanks so much.

Carolyn Arnold

Have you tried maximizing the screen - Alt+Spacebar+X?

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jamie
Sent: Monday, December 2, 2019 3:55 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] When I go in to my documents to look at the files there I can't see them

Hi, everyone,
When I go in to my documents to look at the files there I can't see them. It’s like they’re not there, even though I know they are.
Can anyone help?
Thanks so much.

Gene

Do you see them if you look using the JAWS cursor?  What settings do you see if you open the view menu with alt v wile in that folder?

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2019 5:11 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] When I go in to my documents to look at the files there I can't see them

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jamie
Subject: [TechTalk] When I go in to my documents to look at the files there I can't see them

Hi, everyone,
Can anyone help?
Thanks so much.

Jamie

When I use the jaws cursor it says “select a file to preview.
Alt V doesn’t do anything while I’m in the folder.

Sent: Monday, December 2, 2019 4:20 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] When I go in to my documents to look at the files there I can't see them

Do you see them if you look using the JAWS cursor?  What settings do you see if you open the view menu with alt v wile in that folder?

Gene

Hi, everyone,
Can anyone help?
Thanks so much.

Jamie

Okay, I was able to get alt V to work. It says show hidden items unavailable.

Gene

Hi, everyone,
Can anyone help?
Thanks so much.

Gene

I'm not sure what that means.  Do you have a sighted person who can tell you if the files are being displayed?  I'm trying to think of another way you can get to the same files.  Are you opening My Documents on the desktop?  I don't recall if you stated what version of Windows you are using but there is at least one more way to get to the folder.  Try an experiment.  Open the start menu search and type documents.  Do you see a documents folder or more than one?  Can you open them and see the files?

Others may be able to give you other ways or better ways.  I'm making a suggestion but I don't know what you will see to open.

But I'm suggesting finding another way to open the folder because you may currently be working with the library and not directly with the folder.  Something may have happened that is causing yu problems with the library but that may have nothing to do with working with the folder itself.

Gene

Sent: Monday, December 02, 2019 9:23 PM

Gene

Hi, everyone,
Can anyone help?
Thanks so much.

Mike B

I don't know if this will help, but make sure the window is maximized.  Windows key + up arrow is the Microsoft keystroke or try holding down the, Alt, key and pressing the spacebar, let up on both keys, now up arrow to, maximize, and press enter.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Rams!
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Sent: Monday, December 02, 2019 7:50 PM

I'm not sure what that means.  Do you have a sighted person who can tell you if the files are being displayed?  I'm trying to think of another way you can get to the same files.  Are you opening My Documents on the desktop?  I don't recall if you stated what version of Windows you are using but there is at least one more way to get to the folder.  Try an experiment.  Open the start menu search and type documents.  Do you see a documents folder or more than one?  Can you open them and see the files?

Others may be able to give you other ways or better ways.  I'm making a suggestion but I don't know what you will see to open.

But I'm suggesting finding another way to open the folder because you may currently be working with the library and not directly with the folder.  Something may have happened that is causing yu problems with the library but that may have nothing to do with working with the folder itself.

Gene

Gene

Hi, everyone,
Can anyone help?
Thanks so much.

Jamie

Thank you everyone for your help.
I did a search and this solved my problem. Just in case anyone is having trouble with the same thing, I’ll share what I have learned.
Incidently, I was doing a search for the documents from the start menu with no success. I was unable to maximize it.
Perhaps this will help anyone else.

Opening documents in windows 8.1

Opening Documents in Windows 8

Showing Documents through Windows Explorer
1.    Open 1.    Windows Explorer.
2.    Double-click the This PC icon.
3.    Double-click the Documents folder.
Browsing to the Documents folder in Windows Explorer
1.    Open Windows Explorer.
2.    Under This PC double-click the C: drive.
3.    In the C: drive, double-click the Users folder.
4.    Double-click the <name>, where <name> is the name of your user account. For example, if your login name is Nathan, you would click on Nathan.
5.    Double-click on the Documents folder.
Showing Documents on the desktop
In early versions of Microsoft Windows, the My Documents folder could be found on the desktop by default. However, Windows 8 has the start screen and has disabled this feature by default. If you want this folder on the desktop, see our show the documents folder on the desktop page.
Once Documents is visible on the desktop, double-clicking on this folder allows you to access your saved documents on your computer.

Sent: Monday, December 2, 2019 8:50 PM

Gene

Gene

Hi, everyone,
Can anyone help?
Thanks so much.