Topics

wifi boosters?

Troy Burnham

Hi all,

I don't know if it's a wifi booster that I need but I chat with friends using the team talk app on my iPhone 7 every morning and if I go outside, even though I'm no more than 30 feet from my router my connection to the server gets dropped quite often for a few seconds at a time.

I've called Spectrum and they've come and checked my router, once they said there was no problems and the second time they changed the router, but I still have the problem. Would a wifi booster help this problem and if so which one if the best? Btw when I'm using team talk to chat online is the only time that I have this problem of my connection dropping, and the further away I get from the router the problem seems to get worse.

Thanks.

Troy

Hi Troy,
I would recommend a Wi-Fi extender. This will allow your Wi-Fi to be pushed out farther. As for brands I’m not sure.
Hope this helps,

Ashley Breger

On Jul 3, 2020, at 2:05 PM, Troy Burnham <troyburnham34@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I don't know if it's a wifi booster that I need but I chat with friends using the team talk app on my iPhone 7 every morning and if I go outside, even though I'm no more than 30 feet from my router my connection to the server gets dropped quite often for a few seconds at a time.

I've called Spectrum and they've come and checked my router, once they said there was no problems and the second time they changed the router, but I still have the problem. Would a wifi booster help this problem and if so which one if the best? Btw when I'm using team talk to chat online is the only time that I have this problem of my connection dropping, and the further away I get from the router the problem seems to get worse.

Thanks.

Troy

Gene

You say it’s the only time you have this problem. It is the only time your connection slows enough to cause problems with this activity. Other activities you do evidently don't require as much speed and the farther away you get from the radio signal of the router, the more the speed slows down.

I doubt the behavior is different from other peoples regarding routers. It might save you a lot of time and inconvenience if you ask about things before doing something like changing a router. I suspect that others would tell you that you are doing one of the most demanding things on speed when you use such a service, carrying audio and video in two directions in real time.

Gene

[...]

Troy, is your cell service incapable of switching between WI-FI and data?
Or, do you have data turned off permanently on your cell service?

I asked these questions because if mobile data is working on your cell
network, there need not be a degradation in the quality of transmission.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Norman

There are a lot of variables here.

1, what's the make and model of the router you have?

2, are you sending both voice and video?

3, is the teamtalk server on your network or somewhere on the net?

4, what kind of material are the walls made of between you and the router?

5, how many bars of wifi signal do you have when you're 30 feet away from the router?

6, does it work on a cell connection?

7, does voice drop completely where you can't here anyone and they can't here you? or does only one side of the connection drop?

Voice communications are not as demanding on bandwidth as some might think but you do have to have a completely solid connection to make it work.

Thanks.

On 7/3/2020 2:05 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
Hi all,

I don't know if it's a wifi booster that I need but I chat with friends using the team talk app on my iPhone 7 every morning and if I go outside, even though I'm no more than 30 feet from my router my connection to the server gets dropped quite often for a few seconds at a time.

I've called Spectrum and they've come and checked my router, once they said there was no problems and the second time they changed the router, but I still have the problem. Would a wifi booster help this problem and if so which one if the best? Btw when I'm using team talk to chat online is the only time that I have this problem of my connection dropping, and the further away I get from the router the problem seems to get worse.

Thanks.

Troy

Troy Burnham

I know that when I leave the house, once I get out of range of my wifi the cell connection takes over. I've never tried chatting on the cell connection, not recently anyway, so I don't know if I have the same problem then or not. I'll be chatting on team talk tomorrow morning so I will switch over to the cell connection and see if that helps.

Troy

On 7/3/2020 2:42 PM, Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. wrote:
Troy, is your cell service incapable of switching between WI-FI and data?
Or, do you have data turned off permanently on your cell service?

I asked these questions because if mobile data is working on your cell
network, there need not be a degradation in the quality of transmission.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Troy Burnham

I don't know what router I have, just that my cable company is Spectrum and I think they provided the router.

I'm only using voice, no video and it's only voice that drops. I can't hear them, and I assume they can't hear me although since I can't hear them I've never tried to see if they can hear me or not.

The team talk server I'm connecting to is on the net, it's part of out-of-sight.net.

The wall between me and the router when I'm outside is mostly brick, there is a big window nearby but we keep a metal hurricane shutter pulled down over it.

I've never checked the number of bars I have, but inside I have 3 wifi bars and when I have checked the bars for my wifi connection I usually have 1 or 2.

Troy