Will I need to change my address if I change internet provider?

Nancy Hill

Hi,

I have used comcast for over 10 years and we are seriously contenplating  going to AT&T.

My current email addie ends in comcast.net.  If we do change provider, must I also change my internet address?

If I have to change my address, do you have suggestion/s for an address source that I won't have to change but can take intact from one provider to another.

I use updated versions of win10, jaws and Thunderbird.

Help and suggestions greatly appreciated.

nancy

Vicki W

When we switched from Comcast to Cox cable because of a move, Comcast allowed us to keep our e-mail addresses providing we used them at least once a month. That was three years ago, so it may have changed, although it is still working for us. You need to contact Comcast and tell them you are switching and who your new provider will be. Once they give you the okay, you may need to let your new provider know as well. They will no doubt give you an e-mail address, but if it is the same as Cox cable, you just set up your Comcast e-mail account the same as you always did in your Outlook or whatever you use and it should work.

If you are wanting to get all of your mail via the new provider's website, that will only work for them, but my husband got his comcast e-mail on the comcast website for a long time after we moved until he added it to Outlook and gets it that way instead.

Vicki

I have used comcast for over 10 years and we are seriously contenplating going to AT&T.

My current email addie ends in comcast.net. If we do change provider, must I also change my internet address?

If I have to change my address, do you have suggestion/s for an address source that I won't have to change but can take intact from one provider to another.

I use updated versions of win10, jaws and Thunderbird.

Help and suggestions greatly appreciated.

nancy

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

The answer to your question is yes. You will need to change your email address, or should I say it will be changed for you. The way to prevent this is to get your own domain.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gene

Some people object to using GMail because it collects information about your interests and preferences to present tailored advertising to you.  If I  was concerned about that, I’d use some sort of service that encrypts e-mail between you and the user.  I believe there are services that do this and present clear copies to your recipients, though they are encryped during transmission.  But e-mail isn’t private unless encrypted.

While I don’t think tech companies should be allowed to collect all sorts of information about people, I use GMail.  I don’t care if Google knows I read The New York Times, like The Beatles, and other preferencess it can tell from looking for certain words in my messages.

GMail works well, is free, and I can use it no matter how I access the Internet.

Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 4:00 PM

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Pamela Dominguez

When I moved, I was actually able to get my email from Cablevision, long after. The only thing that stopped me was my computer went bonkers. So I ended up having to get a gmail account. The people at Cablevision told me that when the cable was shut off the day before I moved, I wouldn't be able to use my inbox after that. But when I hooked up with Verizon Fios where I am now, I checked my old email box, and it was full of stuff that I could get, and it allowed me to reply to it and all. Pam.