Topics

WinAmp and Alternatives

Joe Orozco

Hi, I’ve been using WinAmp 5.666 for a while. Until recently, it
worked fine, but lately it’s been playing audio at a significantly
lower volume than the rest of my system. After some cursory research,
it may have something to do with my output plugin. I don’t have the
energy to fuss too much with it, unless someone can point to a
specific plugin tweak I can attempt.

Are there JAWS scripts for WinAmp?

Or, what other audio players are people using? I like the interface
for WinAmp. I like the granularity of being able to move around files
and within files themselves, but if people have since moved onto more
updated players, I’d be interested in some suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Gene

Did you try to increase the volume?  I don't recall if the command is just up arrow or control up arrow.  Hold up arrow and see if the volume increases.  then, if it doesn't try control up arrow.

You can also completely disable the Winamp volume control, though I'd have to check to see how that is done.  I have no interest in controling Winamp volume separately from the general volume, so I keep things simple by disabling the Winamp volume control.

Hi, I’ve been using WinAmp 5.666 for a while. Until recently, it
worked fine, but lately it’s been playing audio at a significantly
lower volume than the rest of my system. After some cursory research,
it may have something to do with my output plugin. I don’t have the
energy to fuss too much with it, unless someone can point to a
specific plugin tweak I can attempt.

Are there JAWS scripts for WinAmp?

Or, what other audio players are people using? I like the interface
for WinAmp. I like the granularity of being able to move around files
and within files themselves, but if people have since moved onto more
updated players, I’d be interested in some suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Adel Spence

you can tri foobar2000.
its grate
AdelSpence, founder of tt-games, the first audio gameing cumpaney in trinidad and tobago!

Hi, I’ve been using WinAmp 5.666 for a while. Until recently, it
worked fine, but lately it’s been playing audio at a significantly
lower volume than the rest of my system. After some cursory research,
it may have something to do with my output plugin. I don’t have the
energy to fuss too much with it, unless someone can point to a
specific plugin tweak I can attempt.

Are there JAWS scripts for WinAmp?

Or, what other audio players are people using? I like the interface
for WinAmp. I like the granularity of being able to move around files
and within files themselves, but if people have since moved onto more
updated players, I’d be interested in some suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Byron Stephens

Winamp has had scripts since 2003, and do a reset on the plugin.

AdelSpence, founder of tt-games, the first audio gameing cumpaney in trinidad and tobago!
Hi, I’ve been using WinAmp 5.666 for a while. Until recently, it
worked fine, but lately it’s been playing audio at a significantly
lower volume than the rest of my system. After some cursory research,
it may have something to do with my output plugin. I don’t have the
energy to fuss too much with it, unless someone can point to a
specific plugin tweak I can attempt.

Are there JAWS scripts for WinAmp?

Or, what other audio players are people using? I like the interface
for WinAmp. I like the granularity of being able to move around files
and within files themselves, but if people have since moved onto more
updated players, I’d be interested in some suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Joe Orozco

Does anyone know where these WinAmp scripts for JAWS can be found?

How do I reset the plugin?

And, to Gene's point, I don't mind disabling the volume control, but I
don't see where to do that in the settings. Any guidance? I tried
uninstalling and reinstalling, but some configurations must have been
preserved because the problem persists.

Thanks guys for any help.

Joe

On 12/1/19, Byron Stephens <bstephens122874@...> wrote:
[...]

Do you use Winamp with JAWS?  JAWS has had Winamp scripts for years.  The scripts are already in JAWS.

Did you try raising the volume?  That has nothing to do with scripts.  The command is a Winamp command.  I checked the command.  It is just plain up arrow to raise the volume.  Start something playing.  Press and hold up arrow for many seconds.  Does the volume rise?

If you never disabled the setting, it is very unlikely to be disabled.  But if the command doesn't work, I'll tell you how to use the easiest plugin to adjust the volume settings withh and you can see what you find as to whether it is disabled..

Does anyone know where these WinAmp scripts for JAWS can be found?

How do I reset the plugin?

And, to Gene's point, I don't mind disabling the volume control, but I
don't see where to do that in the settings. Any guidance? I tried
uninstalling and reinstalling, but some configurations must have been
preserved because the problem persists.

Thanks guys for any help.

Joe

On 12/1/19, Byron Stephens <bstephens122874@...> wrote:
> Winamp has had scripts since 2003, and do a reset on the plugin.

Joe Orozco

Raising the volume works with Up Arrow as you describe, but it will
only go so far before hitting some sort of block that keeps it from
sounding as loud as the rest of my system. Thanks again for any
further tips.--Joe

On 12/2/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

Try the following.  It may not solve the original problem but it will very likely work around it so you don't have to solve the original problem.

When Winamp is opened, use the command control tab.  Do you move through different Winamp windows?  If so, is equalizer one of them?  If so, stop in the equalizer window.  If that window isn't opened, open it with the command alt g.  Then control tab until you are in it.
I am assuming you are using JAWS and will get speech feedback when you issue this command.  Issue the command n.  Just the letter n by itself.  It toggles the equalizer on and off.  Have it on.

Now, alt tab to the main window and start whatever you are testing with playing.
Then switch back to the equalizer window, all these window changes while you are in Winamp with control tab.
press the key above the tab.  It is the grave.  Press it, then wait a second or two.  You should hear a little volume increase.  Press it a number of times to increase the volume by a good amount.  Press tab to decrease the volume.  You may not hear the change until a second or two after you issue the commands.  Set the volume as you want it.  Leave the equalizer on and close the equalizer window with alt g, the same command you opened it with.
Use control tab to move back to the main window.

If you have never changed other equalizer settings, the audio should sound the same but the volume should be as you want it.

On 12/2/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> Do you use Winamp with JAWS?  JAWS has had Winamp scripts for years.  The
> scripts are already in JAWS.
>
> Did you try raising the volume?  That has nothing to do with scripts.  The
> command is a Winamp command.  I checked the command.  It is just plain up
> arrow to raise the volume.  Start something playing.  Press and hold up
> arrow for many seconds.  Does the volume rise?
>
> If you never disabled the setting, it is very unlikely to be disabled.  But
> if the command doesn't work, I'll tell you how to use the easiest plugin to
> adjust the volume settings withh and you can see what you find as to whether
> it is disabled..
>
> Gene

Pamela Dominguez

The only way I got rid of this problem was to uninstall and reinstall winamp. Somebody had told me how to get it to play at the higher volume again, but I forgot, and when I asked, nobody knew what I was talking about, so I ended up having to reinstall it. Like you, winamp told me it was at the top volume, but it was only really playing at half its volume. It happened to me suddenly, one day, when I was listening to something. I wasn't even near the computer; I was across the room, sitting on the couch, and suddenly, the volume just went down. Pam.

[...]

I saw this after I sent my message.  I hope this worked for him.  Pam.