Topics

windows 10 and a Microsoft account

Troy Burnham

Hi all,

I've been told that I need to set up a Microsoft account on my new windows 10 machine, but can somebody explain why I need it and/or what I will use it for?

Thanks.

Troy

Hi,
You don't really need a Microsoft Account to use Windows 10, as it is perfectly possible to use a local account for various things. Certain services and features will require Microsoft Account (such as buying apps from Microsoft Store).
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Troy Burnham
Sent: Thursday, December 6, 2018 6:01 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] windows 10 and a Microsoft account

Hi all,

I've been told that I need to set up a Microsoft account on my new windows 10 machine, but can somebody explain why I need it and/or what I will use it for?

Thanks.

Troy

Kwork

In which case you can just sign into the store with your Microsoft account as needed. If you don't ever plan on using the Microsoft store, no need to be signed into a Microsoft account at all at all times on your computer.

On 12/6/2018 7:05 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
You don't really need a Microsoft Account to use Windows 10, as it is perfectly possible to use a local account for various things. Certain services and features will require Microsoft Account (such as buying apps from Microsoft Store).
Cheers,
Joseph

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Troy Burnham

Hi all,

Thanks.

Troy

Troy Burnham

I thought a friend told me something about dropbox and the Microsoft account being associated in some way, and I'm in a shared dropbox with many friends.

Troy

On 12/6/2018 8:15 PM, Kwork wrote:
In which case you can just sign into the store with your Microsoft account as needed. If you don't ever plan on using the Microsoft store, no need to be signed into a Microsoft account at all at all times on your computer.

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Hi all,

Thanks.

Troy

Hi,
Dropbox accounts are not associated with Microsoft Accounts at all.
Cheers,
Joseph

Sent: Thursday, December 6, 2018 6:58 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] windows 10 and a Microsoft account

I thought a friend told me something about dropbox and the Microsoft account being associated in some way, and I'm in a shared dropbox with many friends.

Troy

In which case you can just sign into the store with your Microsoft
account as needed. If you don't ever plan on using the Microsoft
store, no need to be signed into a Microsoft account at all at all
times on your computer.

Hi,
You don't really need a Microsoft Account to use Windows 10, as it is
perfectly possible to use a local account for various things. Certain
services and features will require Microsoft Account (such as buying
apps from Microsoft Store).
Cheers,
Joseph

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of
Troy Burnham

Hi all,

I've been told that I need to set up a Microsoft account on my new
windows 10 machine, but can somebody explain why I need it and/or
what I will use it for?

Thanks.

Troy

Marie

To my knowledge, there is no connection between Drop box and a Microsoft account. However, there is a definite connection to One Drive and the MS account.
Marie

Sent: Thursday, December 6, 2018 6:58 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] windows 10 and a Microsoft account

I thought a friend told me something about dropbox and the Microsoft
account being associated in some way, and I'm in a shared dropbox with
many friends.

Troy

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Hi all,

Thanks.

Troy