Windows 10 and Sound forge Pro 15 with JAWS

John Holcomb II

Hey all,

SO I’ve got Sound Forge Pro 15 and the scripts from:

The Snowman’s Scripts for Jaws For Windows (snowmanradio.com)

With JAWS running in Sound Forge with the  scripts, Sound Forge is sluggish to the point of being nearly not responding.

If I hit space to play it takes at least one second for the audio to start.

If I hit control +R to open the recording dialog  JAWS actually stops talking, and won’t do so again until I go to my desktop with WindowsKey+M.

I’ve tried using SF with narrator and this doesn’t happen with narrator. I’ve also tried using it with the default user directory loaded from JAWS and this doesn’t happen then either.

This is on Windows 10 21H1 with Jaws 2021 July update on a M.2 SSD on a Core I7 X processor with 64GB ram.

Anyone got any ideas?

This never happened with Windows 7 and Sound Forge Pro 9 or studio 10.

Thanks,

John

Blaster

You have more then enough horsepower to run SF, it's got to be your
soundcard. The onboard sound chips were never meant to do more then
play computer sounds and to play mp3's or video.

HTH,
Blaster

The Snowman <http://www.snowmanradio.com/Sound%20Forge%2015.html> 's
[...]

Its happening to Jim too.
Unlike me though Jim has Jaws 2021 o and SF 15 on a windows 7 box . Its a problem with freedom scientific as I understand it.
John

On Sep 21, 2021, at 10:37 AM, Blaster <blaster.nil8@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Well that's not good news. I hope FS finds time to sort that out as
I was planning to buy Jim's scripts for SF. Kinda defeats the purpose
of the scripts, eh?

Fingers crossed,
Blaster

On 9/21/21, John Holcomb II <jhii926@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

No its not.
If you disable the Freedom Scientific accessibility Display driver in device manager it helps somewhat .
Playback is instant but the recording dialog is still unresponsive nearly.
This is with new Jaws 2022beta.
I have reported it.
Also as I said , run the default user directory and it works fine.
Its definitely something to do with scripts and jaws.
John

[...]

The problem doesn't happen on Windows 7.
Just on 10.

[...]

If you have a USB soundcard you could route JAWS through the onboard
soundcard and SF through the USB soundcard. Separating the two may
help.

Anyhow, hopefully FS will find out what's going on and provide a patch
in the next update.

Take care, and thanks for bringing this to the list.
[...]

lynn white

This has been an issue between Jaws and Sound Forge depending on the machine.

On 9/21/2021 11:09 PM, Blaster wrote:
[...]

I do have two sond cards but both are internal and no dice.
So yeah FS will have to fix it.
Take care and your welcome,
John

[...]

In my case its an ASUS all series custom built.
John