Topics

Windows 10 Login Always Wants a PIN or Password

Steve Matzura

After a recent Windows 10 update, most likely the one to 20H2 19042 build 630, one of my Windows 10 systems insists on requiring me to log in with either a PIN or my Microsoft account password. Neither of my systems used to do this, and I want to stop the one that is doing it now from so doing. Snippets from the Web tell me to turn off the checkbox in NETPLWIZ that says" "Require a username and password to use this computer." I did that, but still the request for a PIN is displayed. What's the real remedy for this?

Thanks in advance.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Steve,

           You're being asked for a PIN since you went through the "Create a PIN" process, which changes the default verification method.  And, yes, Microsoft has been forcing this, or at least making it difficult to avoid going through once.

            On the lock screen, beneath the edit box for whatever verification method happens to be your current default, are controls that allow you to switch to one of the other methods.  If you land on the one for Password, and choose it, and have already done the prior setup that allows you not to enter one, you should go back to going straight to the desktop.  I can't recall if it will require you to enter your password at the time of switching or not.

        ~ Madonna