Windows 11 Question Please.

Janet

HI Everyone,

Well, since my Windows 7 stopped working. I am wanting to buy a new desktop computer, as I hate laptops.  I was at Best Buy yesterday, so I thought as long as I am here, I decided to look at the new Windows 11.  I saw one I really liked, but I didn’t like the price in which was 13 hundred dollars!  LOL!  The main thing about this computer I really did like is it had no tower, the hard drive, ram, fan, just everything that is in the tower, is in the monitor,  and the monitor isn’t all that big.  It also didn’t have a cd drive tray, but I’m not for sure I would need that anyway.  So, my question is has anyone seen these new computers like this, and if so, can you please share your thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

Gene

How important is no tower?  I haven’t seen the kind of computer you are discussing, but I’ve seen brief discussions of them off and on.  Based on what you say, you may be paying a lot for miniaturization.

Also, I hope others discuss repair, if it becomes necessary.  Is it practical to repair such machines?

I would think that, on sale, you could get a machine for six hundred dollars, perhaps less that would meet your needs.  Do you actually want two computers or do you want a desktop since you no longer have one?  If you get an external keyboard, you can operate your laptop as though it were a desktop.

Well, since my Windows 7 stopped working. I am wanting to buy a new desktop computer, as I hate laptops.  I was at Best Buy yesterday, so I thought as long as I am here, I decided to look at the new Windows 11.  I saw one I really liked, but I didn’t like the price in which was 13 hundred dollars!  LOL!  The main thing about this computer I really did like is it had no tower, the hard drive, ram, fan, just everything that is in the tower, is in the monitor,  and the monitor isn’t all that big.  It also didn’t have a cd drive tray, but I’m not for sure I would need that anyway.  So, my question is has anyone seen these new computers like this, and if so, can you please share your thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

Janet

Gene,

I couldn’t find any desktops for Windows Ten other than  ram being only I3, and I don’t want that.  I’m not for sure if all the Windows 11 machines are not going to have the towers anymore, but Wow, that sure is nice.  I think if it needed to be worked on, it wouldn’t be that difficult       to take it to Best Buy.  I even asked at Best Buy yesterday if they could take a look at my Windows 7, and they said they don’t go to the house to repair computers anymore, and that people will need to bring the computer in for repair.  I can’t stand using this Laptop in which I just bought last Jan of this year.

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

I wasn’t discussing Windows 10.  I was asking if you particularly want a machine such as you are describing.  It may be, though others will have to comment, that you are paying a lot more for the same power of machine because you are getting one without a tower, since the parts may be very miniaturized.

[...]

There will be lots of Windows 11 machines with towers.  Machines without towers have been around for many years but my concern is that you may be paying a lot of money for the miniaturization so you will get a much more expensive machine that is no more powerful.

This article makes powerful arguments against buying an all in one computer.

Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2021 3:32 PM

[...]

I’m not sure I agree with all the arguments in the article but I think that, overall, you aren’t getting your money’s worth.  I suspect you will be spending perhaps two or three hundred dollars more for a machine that is no better.

Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2021 3:32 PM

[...]

 and that isn’t even including the taxes.

I would love not to have the tower.  As far as the miniaturization, I’m fine with that, as all that comes with the computer is the monitor and the keyboard.  Best Buy said if need be, they work on these computers the same way as if the computer had a tower.  Although, the keyboard didn’t have a application key, as it had a FN key on each side of the space bar.   I asked them what happened to the application key, they said they never heard of an application key on any keyboard.  I know there is another way to use the application if the keyboard didn’t have

one, but I don’t remember what that is.  They didn’t have any Windows 11 for $699 , other than some Windows ten with very little ram,  I just can’t see myself paying that much!  LOL!  I do have my keyboard from Windows 7, but I still can’t stand that Laptop,

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

John Holcomb II

Why do you hate the laptop so much?

Also its called an All-in-one.

You can find Windows 11 towers on  Bestbuy.com and other places.

John

[...]

Hmmm…

You could consider a SFF (Small Form  Factor) PC  possibly…

AN Intel  NUC or Lenovo TinyThink could be  worth a look…

John

Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2021 3:32 PM

[...]

I can find you Windows 11 stuff for $699 on  Best Buy Easily.

How mucn a RAM and SSD space do you want?

Thanks,

John

[...]

Hi John,

I would like ram I16, One tera SSD.  Built in speakers.  A full size keyboard with a application  key.

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

Carolyn Arnold

If no Application Key, press Shift+F10, that is, if you have
the standard function above the numbers on your keyboard.

I can't imagine someone never even hearing of an Application
Key.

[...]

<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
Windows

[...]

You’re not getting built in speakers unless you go with an All in one.

Are you telling me you’d really like an all in one?

I don’t know if you’re gonna get what you’re after for $699.

You want 16G of ram, are you  willing to go with AMD for  your processor or are you intel all the way?

[...]

I can picture someone never hearing of that.
Most sited people I know of do not use the keyboard like you and I.
They probably wouldn't even know that the applications key is the same as
clicking the right mouse click button on their mouse..

[...]

Monte Single

WHAT WAS CALLED A TOWER 20 YEARS AGO IS MUCH SMALLER THESE DAYS,

I recently   purchased an hp pavilion.

It is about 11 by 12 by 6 inches.

I’m sure other  brands like asus, acer  Lenovo  come in similar sixes.

So these small tower desktops are getting closer to te size of a  traditional small form factor desktop.

These small towers still have room  for expansion.

[...]

The unit you looket at yesterday is called an all in one.

You pay more for these devices.

If you are a blind user, why do you need a new monitor.

There are lots of new win11 ready machines out there for  six to seven hundred  U S dollars

Pick any popular brand name and you will find several options.

Hust make  sure the p c can run win11,  even if it does come with win10.

There are lots of choices.

1300 u s dollars is totally out of line for a basic win11 computer.

[...]

Thank you for this.  I was totally blown away when the one Geek and the sale’s person told me they never heard of an application key either!  Matter of fact, they even told me I must be misunderstanding about an application key!  LOL!

Janet

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

Well,

So is that the highest you can go in price?

Or are you willing to make a cut somewhere.

The nearest to what you wanted I could find was 16GB of ram , 512GB SSD, but the processor is pretty old by now a 6th generation core I7.

It’d run Windows 10 for 5 years just fine but Windows 11 you’d be out of luck.

Its $649 on Best Buy and the next one up is higher than your price bracit.

HP Refurbished ProDesk 600 G3 Desktop Intel Core i7 16GB Memory 512GB SSD Black 600 G3-SFF - Best Buy

It is for sure not an all-in one but is an SFF.

[...]

Gerald Levy

If the Best Buy store where you plan to buy your new computer has a Geek Squad desk, ask one of their technicians your questions instead of a sales clerk, most of whom don't know computers from kumquats.  And if the new keyboard lacks an applications key, you can still use the keyboard from your old Windows 7 desktop instead, as long as it works.

Gerald

On 11/11/2021 5:49 PM, Janet wrote:

[...]

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Janet,

Get ahold of the dude below.  He has great deals on computers and the 1 below is a sample.  But, contact him to see what he currently has available.  They're not brand new, but close to it.
Another one just in!!

A short tower with a 6 core 12 thread processor and it's real fast!Built
with the gamers in mind this short tower will really impress!

Note:  The 10th generation I5 now supports all the capabilities of the I7
processor! The 10th generation machines are also faster than the newer
11th generation desktops.

If your looking for a new computer and want something with incredible
performance and ready for Windows 11 when it comes out, look no further
than this little gem.

Bargain priced at $500 it's a huge savings over buying direct from HP.

Computer specifics:
Model HP Pavillion 1023
Processor: 10th gen I5 Hex core 10400 running at 2.9ghz and turbo boost
to 4.3ghz
Supports Hyperthread capabilities up to 12 cores
Hard drive 1tb Western Digital 7200 RPM
16GB Optane memory
Ram: 8gb DDR4 - can be upgraded to 32GB
Optical: DVD+/-rw
Networking: Gigabit Ethernet
Wireless: Realtek RTL882* AC
Bluetooth 5.0
USB: USB-C, USB 2.0, HDMI, USB 3.1, USB 3.0 s
Display VGA and HDMI Intel 630
Audio: Hi definition Realtech
Dimentions: 6.5" wide, 13" deep and 11" high
Weight 12.7 pounds

Includes keyboard, mouse and power cord.

To purchase or for more information, contact Kevin at:

nocm@...

or call

801-765-4329

Acceptable forms of payment include Paypal and money orders

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.