From: lynn white
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 11:24 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Windows Is Gone

Sent from my iPhoneI just got a new computer. I was able to install Jaws. But the other day, Narrator said that I needed to reinstall Windows 2010.
I even tried resetting the computer but to no avail. It looks like Windows needs to be reinstalled.
Where can I find Windows 2010 and would I need to install it from some sort of drive?
This whole thing is something I never expected to run into especially from a new machine. Thanks. Oh, one more detail. I do remember performing a Windows update before this happened.

lynn white

Casting no disspersions. But, I bought this machine from the Blind Ads list. The person that I got it from is quite reputable and I have bought machines from him before.

On Jul 16, 2020, at 11:29 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

Many people reinstall Windows on new machines but I wonder if you should send it back for an exchange or a different machine. This mayindicate some sort of hardware problem or perhaps something else I don't know enough about to discuss. but if I got a new machine and Windows disappeared, I'd really wonder if I should fool around with a machine that behaved so unexpectedly.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: lynn white
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 11:24 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

Sent from my iPhoneI just got a new computer. I was able to install Jaws. But the other day, Narrator said that I needed to reinstall Windows 2010.
I even tried resetting the computer but to no avail. It looks like Windows needs to be reinstalled.
Where can I find Windows 2010 and would I need to install it from some sort of drive?
This whole thing is something I never expected to run into especially from a new machine. Thanks. Oh, one more detail. I do remember performing a Windows update before this happened.

Gene

Reputable or not, that .doesn't mean the machine doesn't have problems. Machines can develop problems at any time without warning. I would never buy a used computer from a person. First, I doubt a person would give you the kind of return option a store would. I have bought a refurbished computer from a reputable store. it has served me well, but even from the store, there were minor errors in the way the computer was configured. They don't affect anything that matters, but they are present.

.How do I know the person I'm buying a computer from really knows it has no malware on it? If the person formatted the hard drive and installed a completely clean version of Windows, then that shouldn't be a worry, but I'd want to know, beyond a doubt, that that was done. If the person left the existing copy of Windows on the machine, whatever else he removed, how do I know the computer is clean? No malware program knows about all malware. Some malware interferes with antimalware programs.

A computer may develop a hardware problem at any time. Though unlikely, hard drives do fail without warning. A reputable store, in my opinion, where Windows is completely reinstalled before sale, as was done with my machine, is safer.

If I were going to buy a refurbished computer today, I'd buy one from Computers For The Blind, unless I had needs for more power that there computers can't meet.

In your case, reinstalling Windows may be your only reasonable option. I hope the disappearing of Windows, which should never happen on a properly functioning machine unless the user commits grave error, makes me suspicious that there is a serious hardware problem.

I'm not a tech and others may disagree with me but I think it is important to discuss such matters.

Gene
.

Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 11:24 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

Sent from my iPhoneI just got a new computer. I was able to install Jaws. But the other day, Narrator said that I needed to reinstall Windows 2010.
I even tried resetting the computer but to no avail. It looks like Windows needs to be reinstalled.
Where can I find Windows 2010 and would I need to install it from some sort of drive?
This whole thing is something I never expected to run into especially from a new machine. Thanks. Oh, one more detail. I do remember performing a Windows update before this happened.

Laz

Hi Lynn,

If you bought it from Kevin let him know about the problem and he'll
help you I'm sure.

Stay well,

Laz

Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 11:24 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

Sent from my iPhoneI just got a new computer. I was able to install Jaws.
But the other day, Narrator said that I needed to reinstall Windows 2010.
I even tried resetting the computer but to no avail. It looks like Windows
needs to be reinstalled.
Where can I find Windows 2010 and would I need to install it from some
sort of drive?
This whole thing is something I never expected to run into especially from
a new machine. Thanks. Oh, one more detail. I do remember performing a
Windows update before this happened.

Bluetooth devices, and accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@...
Phone: 727-498-0121
Skype: lazmesa

Norman

Hi.

Are you talking about Windows 2010? or windows 10?

If windows 2010 then there is a different issue.

Also, does jaws come up saying this? or did someone read it to you?

Thanks.

On 7/16/2020 12:24 PM, lynn white wrote:

Sent from my iPhoneI just got a new computer. I was able to install Jaws. But the other day, Narrator said that I needed to reinstall Windows 2010.
I even tried resetting the computer but to no avail. It looks like Windows needs to be reinstalled.
Where can I find Windows 2010 and would I need to install it from some sort of drive?
This whole thing is something I never expected to run into especially from a new machine. Thanks. Oh, one more detail. I do remember performing a Windows update before this happened.

lynn white

Hi Norman,
It’s Windows 10 with version 2004 update. Jaws doesn’t talk at all. I can only access Narrator.

On Jul 16, 2020, at 7:02 PM, Norman <lists@...> wrote:

Hi.

Are you talking about Windows 2010? or windows 10?

If windows 2010 then there is a different issue.

Also, does jaws come up saying this? or did someone read it to you?

Thanks.

On 7/16/2020 12:24 PM, lynn white wrote:

Sent from my iPhoneI just got a new computer. I was able to install Jaws. But the other day, Narrator said that I needed to reinstall Windows 2010.
I even tried resetting the computer but to no avail. It looks like Windows needs to be reinstalled.
Where can I find Windows 2010 and would I need to install it from some sort of drive?
This whole thing is something I never expected to run into especially from a new machine. Thanks. Oh, one more detail. I do remember performing a Windows update before this happened.

lynn white

Hi Laz and Gene,
Kevin is the best and, if I need to, I’ll contact him to see what needs to be done.
I do have an idea how to reinstall Windows and will see what happens from there.

Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 11:24 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

Sent from my iPhoneI just got a new computer. I was able to install Jaws.
But the other day, Narrator said that I needed to reinstall Windows 2010.
I even tried resetting the computer but to no avail. It looks like Windows
needs to be reinstalled.
Where can I find Windows 2010 and would I need to install it from some
sort of drive?
This whole thing is something I never expected to run into especially from
a new machine. Thanks. Oh, one more detail. I do remember performing a
Windows update before this happened.

Bluetooth devices, and accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@...
Phone: 727-498-0121
Skype: lazmesa

I hope it works but it sounds suspiciously to me like a hard drive failure.

I don't know anything about Kevin, but it appears he has a good reputation.

Do you save a lot of money and get a better computer from him than you would through someplace like Computers For the Blind? How does he support what he sells?

Ordinarily, I would never buy a computer from a private person for reasons I gave earlier. but if Kevin is reputable and supports what he sells adequately, that would be something people may want to know about as a possibility.

Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 11:24 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

Sent from my iPhoneI just got a new computer. I was able to install Jaws.
But the other day, Narrator said that I needed to reinstall Windows 2010.
I even tried resetting the computer but to no avail. It looks like Windows
needs to be reinstalled.
Where can I find Windows 2010 and would I need to install it from some
sort of drive?
This whole thing is something I never expected to run into especially from
a new machine. Thanks. Oh, one more detail. I do remember performing a
Windows update before this happened.

Bluetooth devices, and accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@...
Phone: 727-498-0121
Skype: lazmesa

Smiling?

If you don't have any problems with installing Windows, the Microsoft
Upgrade Tool link below should be a tremendous help assisting you. Just
start Narrator and this way, Narrator will automatically start each time the
computer does its reboots.

Create Windows 10 installation media:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Sent from my iPhoneI just got a new computer. I was able to install Jaws.
But the other day, Narrator said that I needed to reinstall Windows 2010.
I even tried resetting the computer but to no avail. It looks like Windows
needs to be reinstalled.
Where can I find Windows 2010 and would I need to install it from some sort
of drive?
This whole thing is something I never expected to run into especially from a
new machine. Thanks. Oh, one more detail. I do remember performing a Windows
update before this happened.

Norman

If you can get narator you should be able to recover. Also, i disagree with Jene that it's a hard drive failure, If the drive was bad it wouldn't have booted to the point narator works.

Exactly what i would recommend doing from this point i'm not sure as i don't know exactly what the error message is.

Thanks.

On 7/17/2020 5:32 AM, Smiling? wrote:
[...]

Gerald Levy

I agree with Gene.  It sounds to me like the hard drive could be defective, and so reinstalling Windows10  may not fix the problem.  Who is this Kevin guy?  Does he have a web site that describes the computers he sells?  Or is he just someone who tinkers with computers as a hobby and sells them to blind consumers?  What kind of warranty does he offer, and are its terms posted anywhere online?  Or do you just have to accept the terms of the warranty on faith?  No matter how "reliable" Kevin may seem, if he doesn't offer some kind of definitive warranty, preferably of at least one year, then I would be wary about doing business with him. By contrast, Computers for the Blind has a web site that describes the refurbished computers they sell and the terms of their one year warranty. I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but as always, caveat emptor.

  Gerald

[...]

I said I'm suspicious. I don't have any definite statement but whether it is the hard drive or not, I'm suspicious that something is causing corruption or loss of data. Having a hard drive fail doesn't have to mean the entire hard drive fails. Why can't enough of the drive fail to cause corruption or loss of data?

I don't know all the malfunctions that can cause such corruption or loss of data. It could be something else, but I'm suspicious that it is a hardware problem.

Sent from my iPhoneI just got a new computer. I was able to install Jaws.
But the other day, Narrator said that I needed to reinstall Windows 2010.
I even tried resetting the computer but to no avail. It looks like Windows
needs to be reinstalled.
Where can I find Windows 2010 and would I need to install it from some sort
of drive?
This whole thing is something I never expected to run into especially from a
new machine. Thanks. Oh, one more detail. I do remember performing a Windows
update before this happened.

Loy

There is no Windows 2010. the latest version of Windows 10 is 2004.> Are you
talking about Windows 2010? or windows 10?

If windows 2010 then there is a different issue.

Also, does jaws come up saying this? or did someone read it to you?

Thanks.

On 7/16/2020 12:24 PM, lynn white wrote:

Sent from my iPhoneI just got a new computer. I was able to install Jaws.
But the other day, Narrator said that I needed to reinstall Windows 2010.
I even tried resetting the computer but to no avail. It looks like
Windows needs to be reinstalled.
Where can I find Windows 2010 and would I need to install it from some
sort of drive?
This whole thing is something I never expected to run into especially
from a new machine. Thanks. Oh, one more detail. I do remember performing
a Windows update before this happened.

lynn white

Hi Gene and Gerald,

I have been working on this and have contacted Kevin to see what we can work out. As I said earlier, I have bought machines from him before, and I have found him to be a stand up guy. I believe that this is a hardware issue. Narrator is working on a very limited basis. Anyway, we'll see what happens.

-----Original Message----- From: Norman