Topics

windows safe mode

Shirley Healy

does jaws work when in safe mode? and, how do I boot up the computer into safe mode?
shirley

Gerald Levy

Unfortunately, JAWS does not provide speech when booting into safe mode.  You will need sighted help to do this.

Gerald

On 6/27/2020 6:00 AM, Shirley Healy wrote:
does jaws work when in safe mode? and, how do I boot up the computer into safe mode?
shirley

A.Mac

no, nor does narrator.

On 27/06/2020 11:00, Shirley Healy wrote:
does jaws work when in safe mode? and, how do I boot up the computer into safe mode?
shirley

Thanks for your time in advance.
😎
Later
A.Mac
[all out going mail is scanned by Avira]

Timothy Mok

Hi Gerald,

I understand that Narrator for Windows 10 does although I haven’t tried it myself. When I did the removal on my Windows 7, I used the assistance of Be My Eyes. A helpful lady all the way from Finland told me where to move the mouse to click “Remove”. Not having used a mouse in all my eleven years of PC usage, it was an awesome experience to me.

Tim.

Unfortunately, JAWS does not provide speech when booting into safe mode.  You will need sighted help to do this.

Gerald

On 6/27/2020 6:00 AM, Shirley Healy wrote:

does jaws work when in safe mode? and, how do I boot up the computer into safe mode?

shirley

Smiling?

It depends on your OS whether or not JAWS will work because with Windows7 (using some registry files) JAWS would work while in Safe Mode, but this unfortunately does not seem to be the case using Windows10. Microsoft claims that Narrator will work while in Safe Mode in a video on YouTube, but others say that it is not true and that Narrator will not successfully work within Safe Mode.

As far as getting into Safe Mode.

BootSafe is something that you may want to look in to (description and URL to download below).

BootSafe - Download:

https://bootsafe.en.softonic.com/#tab-review

* This is the description I spoke of above.

Brian Vogel

After all the discussion of getting sound in Safe Mode, it would probably help to discuss actually booting

into it.

I have earlier talked about using MSCONFIG or bcdedit methods for doing this, but both have the

disadvantage of making that boot sequence "permanent" if you don't undo the change while you're in

Safe Mode.

Someone on Bleeping Computer just pointed me to a freeware utility, BootSafe, that fills the bill

perfectly to allow you to either directly restart and boot into Safe Mode a single time, or to stage things

such that when you choose to Restart next that you'll boot into Safe Mode. It's also 100% accessible

with NVDA.

The program runs as a portable program from any non-networked drive (that means copy it somewhere

on a disc drive that's internal to your machine). The only big proviso is that you must not remove the

program or move it from its location after you've used it to stage a Safe Boot on next Restart. Once

you've gone to Safe Mode, and then later rebooted into regular Windows, you can safely remove it

then.

The options, for anyone used to using Safe Mode or looking to use Safe Mode, are self explanatory. All

are controlled by radio buttons and as you move among the 4 options the radio button is automatically

selected. The default is Safe Mode, Minimal, which means without networking. You want to down arrow

once to get to the Safe Mode with Networking option. After that you simply tab to one of two buttons:

list of 2 items

1. Configure only (no restart) - which sets the stage for the machine to enter Safe Mode

when you next choose to Restart it or Cold Boot from complete shutdown.

2. Restart Windows - which instantly begins the Restart process, so close out your programs before

hitting this to save your data, and boots straight into Safe Mode. list end

If you change your mind after having fired up the program, and have not yet activated either of those

two buttons, simply close the program.

BootSafe for Windows

Restart your PC in a single click

BootSafe is a tiny application that allows you to restart your PC in Safe Mode with a single click. Without it, starting in Safe Mode usually requires

a manual restart and hitting the F8 key.There are four restart options in BootSafe's single...

View full description

BootSafe

PROS

list of 2 items

Small and portable

Easy to use

list end

CONS

list of 2 items

Not Vista/Seven compatible

No options

does jaws work when in safe mode? and, how do I boot up the computer into safe mode?

shirley

chris judge

I thought narrator worked in safe mode now.

Chris Judge