Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2021 2:02 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Windows XP

I have read that some of you on this list still have a Windows XP.  I would like to know what do you use for virus protection.

Veronica

Alex Stone

Gene, I’m not saying I’m definitely right, but I seem to recall Microsoft saying they were going to stop.

On 20 Jun 2021, at 20:27, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

Its an interesting question.  I’m curious if Microsoft is still making definitions available to Microsoft Security Essentials in XP.  it did for years after support stopped but I have no idea now.  and I have no idea if you can get the program that ran in XP.  But it was very accessible.  Perhaps others know more about that.

I use my XP machines for so little these days that I haven’t kept up with antivirus programs that are accessible and can be used.

Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2021 2:02 PM

I have read that some of you on this list still have a Windows XP.  I would like to know what do you use for virus protection.

Veronica

Veronica Kirk

Thank you Gene for your reply.  I do have AVG on the XP that I have, but I am not sure if it is running properly.  I mainly use that computer for listening to CDs as WMP works very well, as does the CD player.  I did not know that Microsoft Essentials was used as far back as windows XP.  Many years ago I used this particular computer when I worked as a medical transcriptionist, and my company placed AVG on the machine.

Veronica

Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2021 2:02 PM

I have read that some of you on this list still have a Windows XP.  I would like to know what do you use for virus protection.

Veronica

Gene

You didn’t say you use your computer online or how.  You may not need antivirus protection, depending on how you use it.  But we would need to know more about that to have an opinion.

gene

Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2021 2:02 PM

I have read that some of you on this list still have a Windows XP.  I would like to know what do you use for virus protection.

Veronica

Dave

I don't use a Checker because I am never on the Internet with it.

I use it to run some old Software I refuse to pay $600 for the Upgrade.

I have a Win 10 System to do all my Internet related activities.

On 6/20/2021 12:02 PM, Veronica Kirk wrote:

I have read that some of you on this list still have a Windows XP.  I would like to know what do you use for virus protection.

Veronica

Byron Stephens

I still use xp to broadcast using winamp 5.24 running the streaming encoders and an x-fi card with the what you hear option along with quickmix. I use panda antivirus, and I'm also curious what can still be used.

Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2021 2:02 PM

I have read that some of you on this list still have a Windows XP.  I would like to know what do you use for virus protection.

Veronica

Byron Stephens

The only thing I do net-wise on this xp machine is run my ftp server, grab music with the soulseek program or transfering my vinyl or tapes to the harddrive via total recorder and a mixer connected to the desktop.

I don't use a Checker because I am never on the Internet with it.

I use it to run some old Software I refuse to pay $600 for the Upgrade.

I have a Win 10 System to do all my Internet related activities.

On 6/20/2021 12:02 PM, Veronica Kirk wrote:

I have read that some of you on this list still have a Windows XP.  I would like to know what do you use for virus protection.

Veronica

Veronica Kirk

I would use it online depending upon what type antivirus is available, as then I would not have to use my windows-7 computer as much since it is my main computer.

Veronica

Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2021 2:02 PM

I have read that some of you on this list still have a Windows XP.  I would like to know what do you use for virus protection.

Veronica

John Holcomb II

I know for Windows 7, they will keep updating the definitions until sometime in 2023.

Between that and Malwarebytes premium, that’s how I keep myself protected everywhere. So for those that I’ve upgraded to 10, I’ve use Malwarebytes with what would be  MSE’s replacement, defender.

John

Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2021 2:02 PM

I have read that some of you on this list still have a Windows XP.  I would like to know what do you use for virus protection.

Veronica

Gene

How would you use it?   Would you use it for browsing and e-mail or for more things like streaming?

I used to use mhy old XP machines on line after XP went out of support but I never did anything in which I provide personal information such as my birthday or other such information.  Even if I have no indication that I am infected, and the antivirus program I ran never indicated any problems, I don’t know enough about the vulnerabilities that were unpatched in XP to know how likely it might be that I might be infected with no signs.  Now that Windows 7 is out of support, I do the same thing.

Fortunately, the way I use computers, I almost never do things that require divulging such information.  At some point, I expect to get a Windows 10 machine which I will feel reasonably safe using in that way.

Others may want to comment on what I’ve said.  I think that if you just browse web sites and work with e-mail online, you probably won’t be placing yourself in danger.

As far as streaming from web sites is concerned, I don’t know if you know this, but HTML5, now the dominant way of streaming doesn’t work properly even in browsers that support it in XP.  Streams are usually interrupted by all sorts of brief pauses and its very annoying to listen to anything.

Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2021 7:14 PM

Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2021 2:02 PM

I have read that some of you on this list still have a Windows XP.  I would like to know what do you use for virus protection.

Veronica

Byron Stephens

I do all stuff like netflix on my hp laptop running windows ten.

Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2021 7:14 PM

Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2021 2:02 PM