Wrong Jaws behaivor

Pablo Morales

Hello all,

On previous Jaws versions, I was able to select parts of a web page using the temporary place markers and pressing Insert plus M to Select all text between the marked place and the current position in the current document.

However, since a few months ago, this behavior changed. Now the temporary place markers and insert M allows  me to select and copy only the text. Not the properties of the selected text. For example, if I am selecting links, Jaws is not pasting the URL embedded to these links. Jaws used to do that before.

Someone know if there is any setting I should modify to be able to copy and paste the selected text with all properties including the URL associated to the links on the selected text?

Thanks in advance,

Pablo

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Pablo,

In the browser you're using open the quick settings, Insert + V.
In the search field type, select, and wait a moment for the list to populate and you should get 2 results, down arrow to them.

It should say, Select and copy from..., if Jaws reports, select and copy from virtual cursor, press the spacebar so Jaws reports, select and copy Full content using on screen highlight

Do this for both entries, then tab to, Okay, and press enter to save / close.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2021 12:49 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Wrong Jaws behaivor

Hello all,

On previous Jaws versions, I was able to select parts of a web page using the temporary place markers and pressing Insert plus M to Select all text between the marked place and the current position in the current document.

However, since a few months ago, this behavior changed. Now the temporary place markers and insert M allows  me to select and copy only the text. Not the properties of the selected text. For example, if I am selecting links, Jaws is not pasting the URL embedded to these links. Jaws used to do that before.

Someone know if there is any setting I should modify to be able to copy and paste the selected text with all properties including the URL associated to the links on the selected text?

Thanks in advance,

Pablo

Bharat

Hi Mike,

Would you by any chance know as to why are those settings turned off
by default?

Thank you,

Bharat.

On 11/29/21, Mike B. <mb69mach1@fastmail.com> wrote:
Pablo,

In the browser you're using open the quick settings, Insert + V.
In the search field type, select, and wait a moment for the list to populate

and you should get 2 results, down arrow to them.

It should say, Select and copy from..., if Jaws reports, select and copy
from virtual cursor, press the spacebar so Jaws reports, select and copy
Full content using on screen highlight

Do this for both entries, then tab to, Okay, and press enter to save /
close.

Stay safe & take care. Mike.
Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say: "Close Enough!"

On previous Jaws versions, I was able to select parts of a web page using
the temporary place markers and pressing Insert plus M to Select all text
between the marked place and the current position in the current document.

However, since a few months ago, this behavior changed. Now the temporary
place markers and insert M allows me to select and copy only the text. Not

the properties of the selected text. For example, if I am selecting links,
Jaws is not pasting the URL embedded to these links. Jaws used to do that
before.

Someone know if there is any setting I should modify to be able to copy and

paste the selected text with all properties including the URL associated to

the links on the selected text?

Thanks in advance,

Pablo

Gene

Of course, you can try that and see if it works.  But I don’t think it will copy underlying links.  I don’t know why the behavior changed and I may be wrong for specifically what you are doing but my understanding is that copy content copies what you are copying in a form a sighted person would see it.  So if the page has a table, for example, copying the page or that part of it shows the table as a sighted person would see it, not as the virtual PC cursor displays it which is completely different.

Using the setting also gets rid of intrusive and meaningless, to sighted people, verbiage.  For example, a sighted reader won’t see, list with six items in the text.

I’ll be interested to know if changing the setting does what you want in the specific case you are working with but I doubt it.

On 11/29/21, Mike B. <mb69mach1@...> wrote:
> Pablo,
>
> In the browser you're using open the quick settings, Insert + V.
> In the search field type, select, and wait a moment for the list to populate
>
> and you should get 2 results, down arrow to them.
>
> It should say, Select and copy from..., if Jaws reports, select and copy
> from virtual cursor, press the spacebar so Jaws reports, select and copy
> Full content using on screen highlight
>
> Do this for both entries, then tab to, Okay, and press enter to save /
> close.
>

> Stay safe & take care.  Mike.
> Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"

mwb5781@...

They shouldn't be turned off, you use the spacebar to choose one or the other.

Would you  by any chance know as to why are those settings turned off
by default?

Thank you,

Bharat.

On 11/29/21, Mike B. <mb69mach1@...> wrote:
> Pablo,
>
> In the browser you're using open the quick settings, Insert + V.
> In the search field type, select, and wait a moment for the list to populate
>
> and you should get 2 results, down arrow to them.
>
> It should say, Select and copy from..., if Jaws reports, select and copy
> from virtual cursor, press the spacebar so Jaws reports, select and copy
> Full content using on screen highlight
>
> Do this for both entries, then tab to, Okay, and press enter to save /
> close.
>

> Stay safe & take care.  Mike.
> Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

If this doesn't work and in playing around a little bit, it didn't for me with the latest version of Jaws this morning, they can go into the Settings Center for the browser they're using and experiment with,

Settings Center / Web / HTML / PDFs / Reading / Web Verbosity Level

and see if changes here will get back the old functionality.  A call to FS / Vispero would probably save a lot of time.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Of course, you can try that and see if it works.  But I don’t think it will copy underlying links.  I don’t know why the behavior changed and I may be wrong for specifically what you are doing but my understanding is that copy content copies what you are copying in a form a sighted person would see it.  So if the page has a table, for example, copying the page or that part of it shows the table as a sighted person would see it, not as the virtual PC cursor displays it which is completely different.

Using the setting also gets rid of intrusive and meaningless, to sighted people, verbiage.  For example, a sighted reader won’t see, list with six items in the text.

I’ll be interested to know if changing the setting does what you want in the specific case you are working with but I doubt it.

Would you  by any chance know as to why are those settings turned off
by default?

Thank you,

Bharat.

On 11/29/21, Mike B. <mb69mach1@...> wrote:
> Pablo,
>
> In the browser you're using open the quick settings, Insert + V.
> In the search field type, select, and wait a moment for the list to populate
>
> and you should get 2 results, down arrow to them.
>
> It should say, Select and copy from..., if Jaws reports, select and copy
> from virtual cursor, press the spacebar so Jaws reports, select and copy
> Full content using on screen highlight
>
> Do this for both entries, then tab to, Okay, and press enter to save /
> close.
>

> Stay safe & take care.  Mike.
> Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Pablo,

I missed the part of your message that said, * document *, and so would you please post what version of Jaws, operating system and I'm assuming Word, you're running?  Thanks much.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2021 12:49 PM

[...]

I have followed your list of steps and I found the select settings already as onscreen highlight on both select options.

My jaws version is the Version 2022.2110.60 ILM. I am working on Windows 10 version 10.0.19044 Build 19044

I am working on Google Chrome and Brave as well on Microsoft Edge and I am finding the same problem on all browsers.

One thing that is very curius is that when I select 2  lines on a web site with links, Jaws is able to copy and paste the selected text and the links embedded on. However, when I select more than 3 lines of text, jaws copy only the text as a flat text. Jaws is not copying the properties or links that appear on the web page.

Thanks Mike,

Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2021 12:49 PM

[...]

I am using Jaws Version 2022.2110.60 ILM and the selected and copied text goes to Microsoft word office 365 installed in my computer. My computer is using Windows 10. However, I am seeing this behavior since Jaws 2020. It used to work fine  no matter how much text I was selecting. If I was selecting text with links from a web page. When I pasted that information to word, on word appeared the whole selected text including the embedded links from the web page. Now, jaws is not doing that. However, if I press control + A and copy. Windows is able to paste the whole page with graphics, tables, text and embedded links. Jaws no longer was able to do that with selected parts of a web page.

Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2021 12:49 PM

[...]

Have you sent this information to FS / Vispero tech support?  I haven't heard anyone else on any of the Jaws lists or the other tech lists mention this problem and I'm wondering if something didn't get screwed up somewhere along the line with all these other things that have been going on with these later versions of Jaws.  You  know, trying to increase their compatibility with Windows 10 & 11.

Have you looked in the Settings Center and tried to tweak any settings while running Brave, Chrome or Edge?  It sure sounds like something is broken or maybe changed to the layered keystrokes feature.  Here are the email addresses for tech support.  I will continue to play around to see if I can figure out anything, but the big thing is I don't have Office 365 installed, I'm running Office 2016, but my Windows 10 system isn't available to me for a couple of more days.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2021 12:49 PM

Hello all,

On previous Jaws versions, I was able to select parts of a web page using the temporary place markers and pressing Insert plus M to Select all text between the marked place and the current position in the current document.

However, since a few months ago, this behavior changed. Now the temporary place markers and insert M allows  me to select and copy only the text. Not the properties of the selected text. For example, if I am selecting links, Jaws is not pasting the URL embedded to these links. Jaws used to do that before.

Someone know if there is any setting I should modify to be able to copy and paste the selected text with all properties including the URL associated to the links on the selected text?

Thanks in advance,

Pablo

Pablo Morales

I just sent them an email. Let us see what happen.

Thanks  Mike,

Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2021 12:49 PM

[...]

Please let the list know what FS / Vispero tech support has to say.  Thanks much.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Sent: Monday, November 29, 2021 9:14 PM