From: Margaret Thomas
Sent: Sunday, July 12, 2020 2:16 PM
To: TechTalk
Subject: [TechTalk] Zoom Workshop By Landline

Hi, All:

A local agency is having a virtual workshop later this month that I want
to attend. "All of the workshops will be held at 11 AM on Zoom.
Participants can participate via phone or video." I don't have a
microphone and my phone is a landline. After I register, and ,
presumably, get the invitation, will I still be able to attend? I just
read a slew of posts about Zoom, but the people who mentioned attending
by phone all had smart phones. My computer is a Win 10 desktop.

Thanks,

Margaret

Gary Ray

Gary Ray here.

Yes, you can attend by land line phone.

You may have to insist that the folks who set the meeting up provide you with call in instructions including number to call and the code.

There is an encryption issue that might get in the way of using the call in method. Again, you might have to insist that the folks who arrange the meeting set it up so you can call in.

I have unlimited long distance on my land line phone. If you don't it might be a problem.

I hope this helps!

A local agency is having a virtual workshop later this month that I want
to attend. "All of the workshops will be held at 11 AM on Zoom.
Participants can participate via phone or video." I don't have a
microphone and my phone is a landline. After I register, and ,
presumably, get the invitation, will I still be able to attend? I just
read a slew of posts about Zoom, but the people who mentioned attending
by phone all had smart phones. My computer is a Win 10 desktop.

Thanks,

Margaret

Margaret, for most Zoom-related meeting invitations, there are typically
several phone numbers listed. So, all you need is to grab one of the
numbers, make a note of the meeting ID number and its Pass Code. These will
generally be included in the info you receive once registered for the
meeting.

So, three things to worry about when joining a Zoom meeting by phone: A
phone number to call in, a meeting ID number that will need to be punched
in, and the meeting's Pass Code.

Now, there are some gestures that are part of Zoom's keyboard commands, I'm
not certain if any of them can be invoked on any other toy aside from the
smart ones. Example, to raise the hand to be recognized for purposes of
asking a question is Star Sign-9; same gesture lowers the hand, or the
meeting host can lower the raised hand. On the computer, the keystroke is
Alt+Y!

If you have NO PLANS to ask any questions, but just listening in, you should
be fine using your regular P.O.T. toy to join your Zoom meeting.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Gene

There are commands that can be done by phone. The two I found listed in zoom help are:
*6 - Toggle mute/unmute
and
*9 - Raise hand.
There is a star before these numbers. that may indicate that the starr, or key to the left of 0 must be pressed first.

[...]

Carolyn Arnold

How do I find out how to use Zoom? My church is considering changing to it, plus another list might use Zoom. I never paid attention, because had no reason to use it until now.

TFAH (thanks for any help)